• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 front seals

dirtclod

NAXJA Forum User
OK, the consensus is I need a new front seal on my AW4. I can yank it and put it back, not much fun, but I can do it.

How much are the seals going to cost? Also, since I will have it off anyway, is there something else I should go ahead and replace while it if off? Any special tools I will need? (ie. lineup kit, etc.)

TIA.:D

1 Seal, from autozone was about 4 bucks. Tools ya need to take it off are a screwdriver and a steady hand. IF in fact its stuck, very very very very carefully use a couple tiny self tapping sheet metal screws and screw them in on opposide sides of the seal to have something to pull on. Tools to put the new seal in consist of a hammer and again a steady hand. I lubed mine up and tapped it in . Be sure you tap it in evenly smacking it a little all the way around. Be sure when you put the torque converter back on you spin it while sliding it on to engage the splines as well as the tranny pump. I did this about a month ago and if I remember right, its 3 klunks it makes when you slide it on. 1 for the first set of splines, 1 for the second set of splines, and 1 for the tranny pump. And also the pump is what lines up and engages on those 2 notches on the TC. Maybe a little longwinded but I try to be thorough:D Either way, HTH

Mike

Sounds complete to me. Kills me to know tranny repair places get 400-500 bucks to do it (yeah, I called around).

Your method of pulling and installing seals sounds about like mine. I have never yanked an auto tranny before and wasn't sure what I needed.

Thanks!

Back