• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 Cherokee, $2800?

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I have came across a 1992 Cherokee, its a 4 door, 5spd, 4.0L HO, with 168K on the odo. It is what I have been looking for, but really want a '96 and newer. Its at a used car lot here in Puyallup. Is $2800.00 a bad price? It is in great condition on the outside, from what I can tell from the road. (they were closed when I stopped by, and later called about the info)

Just wondering if thats a good price, and how hard is it to come by a 4.0HO with a 5spd?

I already have listed out exactly what I am putting on it, so worn parts arn't a big deal.

Ill have to look at it and test drive it to really see if its worth it. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!

Meh...seems a little high, but then again as we're getting closer to winter the prices seem to climb.

How hard is it to find a 4.0L/5-speed? Shouldn't be too difficult although it seems they get more rare the newer the model year.

Make sure it has the AX-15 tranny...you dont want to mess with the pugeot BA-10. not certain when they stopped putting that crap behind our 4.0s but you want to stay away from it. look up some pictures of it so you have an idea of what it looks like in your head and peek under there and make sure its the ax-15. if is it will look similar to a normal chevy manual trans, one piece case bolted to bellhousing. the BA-10 has a seam running down it with like 4-6 bolts holding it together. its a funny looking trans and if you've seen the two different modles you'll be able to spot the difference every time. also the BA-10s are usually covered in oil...but thats nothing to spot it by:laugh3:

Id say 2800 is pretty high...2000 would be a more conservative number. I paid 1700 for my 93 with 160K, 5 speed, 4.0 and it was clean inside and out.

If it drives fine and doesnt seem to have any mechanical problems, i wouldnt pay a cent over 2000. But then, it is a stealership so expect to pay a premium price for it.

got my 92 laredo 4.0/aw4/np242/power everything/cd player for 3200. i payed 2700 and my dad hooked me up with the rest. i don't know why, but around here it's hard to find anything that runs under 1800.

Yeah, I got my 1993, 4.0h.o. 5 speed, about a year ago for 2500, my body is good inside looks new. They were actually asking 3000 for it but I talked them down a little. My XJ also had a 3" skyjacker lift on it that was only a month old and new rims which I didn't like anyway.

Last edited:
don't worry about the peugeot BA10 5-speed tranny. It is junk, but was only available until 1989. This will most likely be an Aisin AX-15 if it is stock.

Try to talk him down on that price. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than ~2K even if it were in good mechanical and exterior condition. Keep in mind that youlle probably have trouble if you decide to sell it later simply because it is a 5 speed. If you plan on running it to the ground, then this wouldn't really matter.

This seems a little high...If you can wait, you will find great deals.

I bought my 99 two years ago for the price of $4000. It was (is) in excellent condition. It has all the "bells and whistles", including a sunroof. Only major thing I did on it was to change the tires eight monts later.
HTH
Boris
P.S. I bought mine off of eyebuy, but have seen similar deals listed in the local papers. Some peops have good luck at auctions, I don't have experience with them...maybe someone else could tell you more about it, so you can find the best XJ that fits your budget.
Might want to check this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Jeep-Cherokee-Classic-Will-ship-Must-sell-Mint_W0QQitemZ4582011557QQcategoryZ6281QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
$2200 tops, in Chicago area anyway. 168K on the motor isn't huge but getting up there. If it only had less than 110K then MAYBE 28. Mileage to me is most important. THAT's when it gets spensive fixin stuff, when motor takes a dump.

Yea, I see Newer models on EBAY for only a few thousand more, half the miles and better condition. But most of them are on the East Coast. I plan on having it till its completly run down, but that may take 15 years or so.

Ill have to do a little more looking around first before I make a final buy. Thanks for all the input, it helps!

Keep looking.

I have bought 3 XJs already this year, and as long as you are patient, you should find a good deal. For example, the 2 recent purchases that are right around what you are looking at too were:

93 Country, 231, 8.25, aw4, 4door, working a/c, power everything, 135k, for $1600 (needed tires though)

91 2 door, 231, D30, ax-15, 183k (now has 196k already) for $1100 (needed radiator)

Both vehicles are mint inside, the 91 has some rust along the bottom of the drivers door, but otherwise both are great ext too.

I would not pay anything over $2000 for anything older than 94, maybe even 95, no matter what shape it is in.

Hope I was a help.

Back