• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need HELP. Shackle bolt problem.

ajporter03

NAXJA Forum User
I hope that this is easy to understand. I just got some new leaft springs from Quadratec today. So I thought I would start on replacing them today after work. I was making some good progress. I started on the the passenger side. I got all of the bolts out except the one that hooks the spring to the shackle. I got the nut off of it, but I couldn't get it to come out because it hit the reciever hitch bracket. So, I thought that I would undo the bolt that hold the shackle in place. This is where my problem started. Instead of the bolt comming loose, I just broke the weld that holds the nut to the back of the bracket. The bolt is still most of the way tight. I can't turn it by hand, but when I move the shackle, the bolt moves a little bit. So, I guess my question is, do I need to worry about this, or can I just leave it alone. I don't think that it will get any looser. I think the nut and bolt are rusted together. If I do need to fix it, how is the best way to do it. The nut doesn't look like you can get to it unless you drill all the way through the frame rail. I really need some advice. I am starting to think that I bit off more than I can chew.

93 XJ 4.0 auto stock. Soon to have new HD leaf springs, hopefully

Uh oh, not good. When I ran into your original problem, hitch in the way of the bolt, I just cut the bolt. I was way too lazy and tired and pissed. The bolts are about $7 from the dealer.

About your new problem, I'd say make sure your nut is actually broken. It's deceiving how little the bolt moves out as you're turning it. A few times I thought the nut had broken off its weld, but it didn't. The bolt was coming out, just really little at a time, especially since I could only turn about 1/2 turn at a time with the breaker bar. If it is broken and you want to fix it, you just need to cut a small hole into the hanger box that encloses the welded nut, not the unibody rails. Do a search on "shackle bolt" or "leaf spring bolt" for more details.

Back