• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor on/off switch?

robbcpht

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done this? I like my Mazda truck because it has this feature. I don't always need the compressor to run with the defroster or the bi-level.
I haven't looked into the wiring yet. Just wondering if anyone had any tips or thoughts good or bad.

Another question that doesn't identify what year vehicle. hasta

I know the early XJs use a relay to control the compressor. I believe the late-model XJs also use a relay, but I haven't tinkered with the a/c on my wife's 2000 so I don't know. Assuming that your year uses a relay, just find which wire runs to either the hot side or the ground side of the control coil of the relay (the low-amperage wires that activate the relay, not the heavy wires that power the compressor), cut the wire and splice in extensions to a toggle or rocker switch on your dashboard and you're done.

If you can find a push-engage/push-disengage switch like they use on the foreign cars you can also use that kind of a switch. A switch is a switch, doesn't really matter what type you use.

Eagle said:
Another question that doesn't identify what year vehicle. hasta

sorry, forgot which forum I was posting on, used to having it in the sig.
It's a 97 Sport.

I was hoping to find the wires behind the control panel to keep from having to run longer wires. I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the wiring. If I can't figure out the wires behind the panel then the relay it is.

robbcpht said:
I don't always need the compressor to run with the defroster.

I hate that. I understand it de-fogs better with dry air, but when I just want to melt the ice off the windshield when it's 0 degrees out I don't need that huge power drain. Please post your results if you get something set up. sounds like a good Idea to me.

thanks. B

If it looks as if you'll have trouble getting into the relay wiring, or don't want to splice into harnesses, etc. you could also disconnect or interrupt one of the leads to the pressure switch on the receiver-drier and run that through a switch. The system will think there's no refrigerant, and the compressor will not turn on.

Back