• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing broken bolts?

XJ16FW

NAXJA Forum User
My motor mount bolts sheared off. I found several threads on the subject.

I have never had good luck with easy outs, and I saw the trick about using a MIG welder to build up a "handle" to back the bolt out.

Does anything think a stick welder would work just as well, or is there too much chance of welding the bolt to the block? ( I have one, and don't have a MIG).

I tried a stick welder, it didn't work. I ended up getting a couple of carbid bits to drill out the old bolts. I think they were grade 8, they were pretty hard, even after heating them and slow cooling. I used the Sears removal set to get them out. The bits that come with the set won't go into the stock bolts.

I had the same problem with a transfer case thread. It broke off in the hole, and i cant figure out how to get it out. I tried heating and everything. I think I'm gonna try to heat it up good then use an impact hammer to get it out, as soon as i get an impact hammer. If that works for you let me know. Drilling wasn't going too well for me either.

I had to go to a specialty tool store and get real carbide bits. the ones that Sears sells didn't work. They aren't cheap. The pilot bit (1/8) was over $8, and the 3/16 was around $12. Turn them very slowly. If tou try to cut fast, it only dulls the bit. Use oil when you drill.

If you use a Acetylenes torch to heat them red hot a couple of times you will soften them
So they will drill much easier.
It also shrinks them, and often if you use lefthand drill bits they screw out.

Back