• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repairing a bent A-pillar......

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I flopped the rig on Rocker-Knocker and the edge of the lower shelf smacked the A-pillar as it landed. Bent the pillar in about 3/4" overall, maybe a bit more, but it was just enough to shatter the windshield as it moved inward. The door window frame got tweaked as well so it's kinda hard to tell how far it really got moved, but it didn't move in far enough to touch the A-pillar cage tube. There's no big bends or kinks in the "line" of the pillar, just dented surface and inward movement of the upper end of the pillar. I suppose it'll be easier to get an idea of how far it moved by hanging a straight door in place as a guide.

I'm looking for ideas on how to get it bent back out.

My first brainstorm was to weld tabs to the inside where the weatherstrip is, and to the outside surface - up high where it's bent the worst, then use a come-a-long to a solid object. I'd pull in a similar opposite direction as it was dented in hopes to get it to pull back out to where it belongs.

Or would it be better to use a 2X4 block against the inside of the pillar and wrap a cable around that and pull applying force to the back of the pillar?

Which sounds like a good solution?

What ever I do to finally get it back out, I'd then cut a good pillar out of a salvage XJ, remove the outside "skin" from that, then weld it over the damaged pillar, smooth out the edges, skim with light Bondo and call it good. I figure removing the entire damaged pillar to weld in a good one wouldn't necessarilly be the best route.

Thanks in advance!
Troy

One technique that has worked for me, especially in the rough out stages. Is to picture how it happened and try to move it in reverse.
I'd probably try and use a hydraulic jack (or even a screw jack) on the end of 4X4, set at an angle just the opposite of how it was pushed in. If thats impossible, I'd try to get the angle as close as possible.
Try to spread out the load on the bottom of the 4X4, with a flat piece of plywood or something, so your not making dents as your removing dents.
I've also done some pretty impressive things, with a come along and a handy tree.
Getting the windshield to fit again, can be a pain.

You can borrow my portapower if you want. That and a couple 2x10 blocks of oak for the floor/tunnel and I was able to push the whole roof back out on mine. I have realigned several tops for people. Heck, call me and come up and we can take an hour or two and buff that right out.

I also have a pin puller to tweak the sheet metal. I would be surprised if we couldn't salvage the pillar.

Back