• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A slight whirring noise coming from the rear

2001XJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Have a Dana 35 with 125,000 miles on it, open diff 3.55 gears. Works very smoothly with no clunking, clicking or any abruptness. But from about 40mph to about 50mph there is a slight, fairly high-pitched whirring noise coming from the rear. It's not extremely loud, but noticeable. Doesn't matter whether accelerating of coasting, or what gear the tranny's in. Below 40 it's whisper quiet, same above 50mph. I'm thinking I'll replace the rear axle bearings/seals for giggles and see what happens. Any chance this is the pinion/diff bearings or gears? I've experienced all kinds of noises over the years, but never one with such a small mph range and so undestructive sounding in nature.

2001XJeep said:
Have a Dana 35 with 125,000 miles on it, open diff 3.55 gears. Works very smoothly with no clunking, clicking or any abruptness. But from about 40mph to about 50mph there is a slight, fairly high-pitched whirring noise coming from the rear. It's not extremely loud, but noticeable. Doesn't matter whether accelerating of coasting, or what gear the tranny's in. Below 40 it's whisper quiet, same above 50mph. I'm thinking I'll replace the rear axle bearings/seals for giggles and see what happens. Any chance this is the pinion/diff bearings or gears? I've experienced all kinds of noises over the years, but never one with such a small mph range and so undestructive sounding in nature.

It sounds like something that will go away, when you swap in the d44..

Back