• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" lift question

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I just finished the putting the mj leaves under my xj main leaf. This netted me a surprising 5.5" of lift in the back!. My concern now is what to do with my driveline. It is pulled alot farther out now than it was at 3" of lift. I have an '89 and I had no vibes at 3", so I don't think I need an sye. Any advice would really help.

slip yoke

lift

Also I now have a reason to recomend that people do not use blocks.

If you don't get an SYE, just make sure you do the Preventive Maintenance on those U-joints, keep them well greased.

Monday, my drive shaft fell off the rear pinion flange, lost a cap. I have 6" of lift on my XJ and a stock drive shaft with the ext slip-yoke. I started hearing my normal droning get louder and louder, then bam. Fortunatley I was able to get off the freeway. You can get away with an SYE, but just be careful.

By the looks of your pics, you need at least a longer drive shaft and maybe the extended yoke to reduce the binding of the u-joint.

Goodluck

CW. said:
Does anyone have any idea if I could use a driveshaft from something else at the junkyard, instead of paying to have mine lengthened?

I'd just get yours lengthened. It's not that expensive

Good visual on the broken block.....I recall spitting out a set of these el-cheapo blocks halfway up PSM, many years and several lifts ago, BTW you can use a receiver hitch as a 2" lift block in a pinch.

Having run both Dshaft configs over the years, I'm recommending that you go with an SYE and new rear DShaft. The shortcut will work, but is not the best solution. You run the potential of accelerated wear on the tail of your Tcase.....eliptical circles are not your friend.....unless you're a huge double-dutch fan.:D Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts

Thats a whole lot of angle at the Ujoint. Let us know if you are able to chase down the vib. I did at 4" with no SYE but it took forever and a lot of work to figure it out.

I ran mine without an SYE at 6" for at least a year by redoing the perches on the rear axle. Not ideal, but I don't notice ANY change from going to the SYE.

Back