• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep

shaggydrsetti

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 2001 XJ 4x4 stock and want to start off roading with it, my question is what should I have done to protect it?

I just baught (still waiting to recieve) a Smittybilt front guard and rear tail guards, was thinking about a 3 inch lift kit, and new tires not sure on what kind or size though.

Anyone have ideas??

Thanks,

Joe

What type of trials? Mud, rocks, asphalt?

Get a Class3 hitch in the rear, tow hooks/d-rings up front, skid plates, sliders. Now you got protection and recovery :cheers:

Bowzer said:
Get a Class3 hitch in the rear, tow hooks/d-rings up front, skid plates, sliders. Now you got protection and recovery :cheers:
those are the basics...then lift and locker and regear and you should be set

andrew2516 said:
6.5" RC lift, 34" LTB's, SYE, quick disco's, and a winch.

if you're made of $ and know you'll wheel the hell out of it then go for this...otherwise, start with a 3-4.5" lift, probably need sye on an 01, and swaybar disconnects are a must... start with some mild all terrain 31 x 10.5s if you are going to be wheeling it as well as driving it places. as your love for your cherokee grows and your skills improve, the need for bigger, stronger, better will also, and you can learn about what you need to make your cherokee a beast. its not as simple as a 6.5" lift and 34s...that will just cause you headaches and you will hate your cherokee and the fact that you are replacing everything from wheel bearings to steering components..and if you go that big you are definately going to want to re-gear, which is neither cheap or easy, so stick with some 31s, and your performance wont go down, and it'll be a while before bearings and steering stuff gets mangled on the trail. my .02 but anyone else here will probably give you similar advice

Back