• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Few Questions

Rootehound

NAXJA Forum User
I was at a junkyard this week picking up an overflow bottle for my 87 4.0 (I guess it's really not an overflow bottle in a closed system, but I don't know what else to call it)

While there, I spotted an 86 4.0 with an instrument cluster that had a tach.
(Mine has gages, but no tach). Am I correct in assuming that this should be a plug-in for my 87? The speedo cable end was changed in 88, right?
I'll probably get flamed for this question, but do clusters with the tach also have an idiot light for low gas? I'm one of those people who waits until the little AMC logo lights up before I get gas.

There was a later model there roof mount rear speaker cabinet. It's blue and the interior of my car is tan. Anybody have a recomendation for a good fabric dye?

Is the wiper motor in a '96 the same as in my '87?

Thanks!!

Guage cluster will swap over, there is a light on the gas guage, just a tiny little LED. But it works.

Youll need snew sendrs for the oil press and coolant temp.

seach, its been over

I've never seen the idiot light for gas. Maybe all of mine have been burned out.

I've never seen the idiot light for gas. Maybe all of mine have been burned out
The tank has to get really low. My 89 would only come on when going up my steep driveway, with a very low tank.....

There was no 86 4.0 so I'm guessing you found an 87 built in 86? Anyway its an easy swap and they said you need new sending units specific to the gauged models. Any of the Renix 4.0 years should work, they use a cable speedometer the new the cluster should also have a connector for the manual (cable) speedometer while the later ones are electric. The backside plastic is also blueish, later ones are white.

My 96 (SE with swapped gauges) has the gas idiot light, a small led below the gauge. Are you sure you don't have it old man, I wonder if this feature was added after your model year?

Tank has to be low! WTF, mine comes on when I have a little less than half a tank. It will then sometimes go off again as the gas gets lower. If I add a little gas it goes on again. Jeep things I guess plus my gas sending unit is a little goofy.

Back