• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nother spark ?

snacob14

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, swapped a 93 grand cherokee engine in my 98 xj. just the long block. now that everything is together i have no spark going through the wire that plugs into the coil. I get fire on initial key turn then nothing. is there something that causes it to fire past a key turn. anyhelp would be great.

when you say you get fire initially, you mean you get power to the coil and then it dies off, or do you just mean that it cranks fine, but no spark?

When you say that you get no spark in the wire that goes to the coil, do you mean you get no spark in the wire from the coil to the distributor, or that you get no 12vdc power in the wire that supplies the coil?

well, basically i get no spark ever to the spark plugs. the fire i'm refering to is the plug in from the wire harness in the back of the coil the test light will read hot when i turn the key on, but then after it does that it will not read hot while i turn the engine over. there are two wires that i don't know what they do at the end of the harness. the plug plugs into the coil but then there are two sets of wires one set that has two black wires with pink or white stripes, and one set of two wires that has a black and a black with white stripe. they look like grounding type metal flat grommets on the end but one reads hot and the other pulses hot. i'm so lost. i need a pic of that area on another 98 or something to tell where they go.

you might want to try cleaning the connection to the crank position sensor. the sensor is on the back of the engine near the trans. the connector has to contacts in a plug located near the back top of the valve cover...
-4ist

Back