• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing oil filter & broke my oil pressure switch...

browneee

NAXJA Forum User
Was changing my oil filter today & I broke the oil pressure switch !

I filled the engine with amount oil required and checked for no leaks. Started car up and confirmed no oil pressure info on dash board. Will this paly havok with any of the sensors untill I can get a replacement one ?

The oil pressure sensor is strictly for the gage.

I would at least put a small (1/8" NPT) brass plug in the hole until you get the new sensor - nothing like having that diaphragm come loose and blow your new oil all over the place!

Check Morris 4x4 Center (www.morris4x4center.com) for a replacement, their prices and service are both very good, and parts are either OEMR or Omix-ADA.

A little trick - get a 1/8"NPT close nipple and 90* ell, or a 1/8"NPT street ell, and point that sensor up away from the oil filter. Since it's a pressure sensor, all it needs is a connection. Using an elbow will allow you to snug it up against the block out of your way for next time. Usually, it can be done with the close nipple (a "close" nipple has no smooth section between the threaded ends,) but it might be necessary to use a 1" or a 2" nipple if you get the larger "bell-shaped" sensor. Also, use a LIGHT amount of RTV Copper to seal that sensor, it's self-grounding, and using Teflon tape or pipe dope will likely result in no reading. RTV copper is conductive enough to work nicely on self-grounding sensors.

Good luck!

5-90

Thanks will look into adjusting it's position...

For future changes any better ideas ? I've got a removal tool (seat belt style) but I cant seem to get enough purchase on the filter from the top !.

How I damaged the switch was by spearing a screw driver through the filter and as I turned the screw driver (toward engine) I was not looking what I was pushing on "the pressure switch", silly I know, and I've paid the price !

Well...

The only tool I use on oil changes is a 9/16" wrench, for the sump drain. I tend to use assembly lube on the oil filter gasket, the turn it to "contact" and NOT MORE THAN an additional 1/2-turn.

When I change the filter later, all I need to do is wrap my left paw around it, and give it a good spin. Comes right off. I haven't used an oil fiter wrench in years (what drawer did I put that thing in, anyhow?

As long as you're careful about putting the thing on, it should be no trouble for you in future.

5-90

Just remember to unplug the sender before changing the oil. It's probably a good idea to disconnect (and clean) the negative (-) battery terminal as well since you're working directly over the starter. I use a right-hand twist to unscrew my filter and work it on again with the left...it just seems easier that way but your mileage may vary.

You can forego the recommended 1/2-quart filter if you've got the HO engine and use the larger 1-qt style Motorcraft FL-1A, my preference Wix 51515, or a (gasp) Fram PH-8A in there.

5-90, that's a good tip about the ell and nipple. Hardware store, here I come.... :repair:

YuccaMan, you're saying a Ford :eek:filter will fit my 96? That's great, since my other vehicle is a Bronco, and the wife drives an Explorer. Both use the FL-1A/PH-8A type.

Why did Jeep put the smaller filter on the XJ anyway? Looks like there's plenty of room in there for a larger filter.....

RoE, that's exactly what I'm saying. I use the Wix but yours will fit the Ford stuff too. Why the smaller filter? More than likely it's because of pennypinching...

Back