• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 input leak and gasket

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
I've been told there's a gasket in between the transmission and the transfer case. I am leaking ATF like crazy out of my transfer case (1 hour on the freeway and my rear-window is oily), and I think it's coming from there (a couple hours with fast orange and an old tooth brush gave a satisfactory level of certainty). Can I get away with just replacing the gasket with silicone to retain this leak, or do I have to replace the seal and bearings on the t-case's input?

There is a seal in there,same as /similar to all the other seals in the TC.RTV wont work as the seal rides on the shaft.
This # is for a AW4/231 combo 83504055 $18.00 I would think a 242 would be the same.
Are you loosing fluid out of the tranny ? then the above # seal is what you need.
If just fluid out of the TC then just the seal in the TC is bad,but replace the tranny seal "just because" your there.
Wayne

TC only. About a quart every 200 miles above 60 mph.
I think it's next to impossible to remove the TC without unbolting the tranny crossmember. Fun times.

Last edited:
resurrected... (because "run it till it breaks" is risky)

What do I do now? I still think it's the transfer case input seal (all output seals are good, so I don't want to touch them)
Do I also go ahead and take care of the rear main seal (whatever that is)?

background:

So I pulled it out
P1010011.jpg

I'm 100% sure the leak is coming from the 242 but just in case, what should I look for if there's a leak?
P1010012.jpg

I picked 2 of these up when I asked for an input seal at autozone, but they look a lot like the tranny's output.
P1010017.jpg

BTW, this is what happens when I put 1 ltr of fluid in the transfer case and tilt it over. That fluid is coming from between the shaft and the retainer. Although it looks like the fluid might be coming from inside that splined section, I verified it doesn't come from there.
P1010019.jpg

edit: Or is it supposed to leak here and instead I've got crummy driveline vibe problems that cause fluid to spew from having an offset 8.8 with a double-cardan driveshaft?

Last edited:
I just replaced my AW4 and took care of some leakage problems with my NP242 also. The seals should tap in with a hammer and a long block of wood. Although I'm not certain, I believe the TC and the trans share fluid. This is at least what the seal pattern and configuration would lead me to believe. When I bolted my TC back to the tailshaft of the AW4, I used liberal amounts of high-temp RTV silicone on both parts, let them cure for 30 minutes, and bolted them together. Not a single red leak. Don't forget to refill the TC when you mount it back up either, as you could do serious damage if you forget.

On the front, pull the 4 bolts off and remove the cover. Clean off the RTV and replace the seal. Use a degreaser to clean off the surface. Next, Use Black RTV super gasket maker and re-install. Make sure to lube the seal surface before re-installing the cover. Give a couple of hours before filling with dextron III.

From what I gather, I need to remove the front bearing retainer and replace the seal that I find in there and then go up with a new gasket. Upon closer inspection I can see that it's a National (says "13672") seal and its a press fit, not this rubber thing I've got here. That red ring is that crush thing.

and btw, pulling the t-case is a major pain in the ass. I hacksawed off my exhaust at the flange so that I could push it out of the way.
P1010016.jpg

Last edited:
any hints for removing the retainer? The black silicone has that sucker down tight! and I've broken one screwdriver already trying to pry it off from the two tabs available.

You did not have to cut your exhaust in half. You could have unbolted it from the head, and unbolted the rear and detached the hanger. After this, the exhaust flange can be "gently manipulated" (kicked violently) towards the rear of the Jeep, freeing it. I just dropped my TC and AW4 in March. It was no picnic.

Back