• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the heck

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I have searched A LOT, but I cant find what I am looking for.

Today at 7 in the morning, 50 degrees outside, I ran around 225 to 230 degress. Then after I left from disc golf, my morning activity, it ran right at 210 in 65 degree weather. I soon discovered that my electric fan was coming on about every other time I drove today. So my first voyage this morning it didnt come on, my second it did. This pattern continued all day. I have checked all connections and its good. Dont know what to do? Should I bypass it and run a on off switch to the inside? Any help would be nice. Thanks

93 Country
4.0 High Output

The electric fan isn't the problem. The problem/question is...why is it running so hot? If it happened all of the sudden, it normally won't be the radiator. My first guess would be a stuck thermostat or a collapsed lower hose. An air bubble can cause problems, but they normally are the result of having done work on the cooling system. I have also seen an impeller on the water pump come loose, but the cheap things first. Pull the thermostat completely while you troubleshoot. If the problem goes away, then buy a new thermostat.

Visually check the lower hose while it is running and overheating.

If none of these things fix it. My next culprit would be the fan clutch. Do a search on testing the fan clutch. Personally I just use safety wire and fix it so the clutch can't disengage. If that works, then get a new one. Since you said your electric fan was coming on and going off, that implies that a fan causes the engine to cool down, so the clutch fan is a likely suspect.

Just a question, is it running OK and has plenty of power? If it is feeling weak, you might be running real lean, causing overheating, but look at the things I listed first, before going down that road.

Post back and let us know how your troubleshooting works out.

Havent done anything to it yet, may replace the T stat tomo afternoon. I know about possibly the fan clutch and all. I know I am running hot but everything is running well, plenty of power. I do have a leacky head gasket, losing coolant and burning oil. So that could be one thing. But that still doesnt answer my question as to why the electric fan comes on one time when the temp is high and doesnt the other time when the temp is high? wierd stuff. I will keep you posted.

Back