• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? Location of the Back Up Light Switch ?

Sorry, how do I know what tranny I have? Im still new to the Jeep scene... I *wasted* a lot of years with Chevys and Fords. Drats!

Its a '93 with 4.0 HO, OD tranny, thats all I know for sure.

Thanx,
Andrew

If it's an automatic transmission, it's in the neutral safety switch.

Most people seem to remove the part, take it apart, clean it up and reinstall it. It's supposedly a several hundred dollar part.

Im guessing near a linkage somewhere...

I had to have one R&Red when the tranny in my full size Bronco (ex truck) was rebuilt, just the neutral safety was $100 dealer only.

Thanks for the help, Ill run it up on ramps and check it out...

Andrew

MyJeepXJ said:
Sorry, how do I know what tranny I have? Im still new to the Jeep scene... I *wasted* a lot of years with Chevys and Fords. Drats!

Its a '93 with 4.0 HO, OD tranny, thats all I know for sure.

Thanx,
Andrew

Incidentally the AW4 is the only automatic transmission ever used in XJs with the 4.0l engine.

More than likely the switch is on the driver's side of the trans, up high. You should see two wires and a jack that plugs into the trans.

The NSS is located on the passengers side of the tranny. You'll need to follow the wiring up to the engine bay and disconnect it there before removing it. I removed and cleaned mine as per the directions on the site above saving myself almost $300.

300??

Heck, out here when Christines' '90 was Dads he priced having that thing done at the dealer, 400 for part and about 100 install (8 years ago)

I was quoted around $250 for the NSS at the local VIP Auto store, I've seen them for $120 or so on eBay. It is somewhat adjustable--mine now starts w/o messing w/the shift lever, but the BU lights only work if you hit the "sweet spot". When I get the time/ambition, I plan to do the clean/rebuild thing. It is kind of a "half moon" looking thing w/wires going to it--there is a big bolt you can loosen and rotate it a bit--helps to have someone to try the starter and/or watch the BU lights while adusting.

Back