• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

borgwarner t4 or t5 info

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe another newb question but here goes. In my research over the past couple day's about figuring out what tranny is the cheapest/cost effective method of replacing the Peugot. I found a tidbit of info stating that you could replace the puegot with a Borg and Warner t4 or t5 transmission seeing as how they're both the same length as the peugot there would be no need for drive shaft modification. but i understand that i'd need a bellhousing adapter from advanceadapters.

anyone know if this is a good swap idea? if so where can i find more info on it?

thanks !

If I remember right, there were some other jeeps that had the T4 or T5 behind the 4.2L. Bottom line is that it would probably be cheaper and easier to use the AX-15 due to all of the parts being readily available, even the driveshafts. Any time you get into a swap, you end up doing some fabrication of some sorts. On an XJ, you would have to fab the crossmember.

old_man said:
If I remember right, there were some other jeeps that had the T4 or T5 behind the 4.2L. Bottom line is that it would probably be cheaper and easier to use the AX-15 due to all of the parts being readily available, even the driveshafts. Any time you get into a swap, you end up doing some fabrication of some sorts. On an XJ, you would have to fab the crossmember.
0ld_man - thanks for the info. i'm just trying to plan this out. i'm anticipating failure. I can't stand this peugot tranny. cold mornings like -7C i gotta put the transfer case in N, leave the tranny in 1st and let it warm up like that for a good 10mins before i can even think about getting the peugot to go into 1st gear. and that isn't even cold yet for our winters. we see temps as low as -31C during our winters. I need a tranny thats good and reliable and won't take a dump with some cold weather. any suggestions?

We hit -40F around here. The AX-15 works fine.

I replaced my Peugeot with an NV3550. I'd expect about $400-600 for a good AX-15 complete and $800-1000 for an NV 3550. The T-5 from my understanding was for only 2wd from AA.
With the AX-15, I'd look for a 94+ with external slave cylinder. I think you would need the cross member from a 91-95 XJ or 91-92 MJ (possibly 89-90 would work) and the tranny mount.
On the NV 3550 a 87-90 (your original cross member) will work. You might have to flip it around and drill two new holes. Then get a TJ or very late (99.5-01 not sure on exact year) XJ tranny mount. I've heard the last year XJ had the NV3550. Hope this helps some. There will be minor trimming around the shifter to fit the NV3550. About an inch or so. I plan to use Royal Purple synthetic tranny fluid. RP specs one of thier products for the NV3550. I hear one of the Border Patrol units uses it in their TJs.
Tom

The T4/T5 were used behind the 258 in CJs. It is a light duty transmission. The AX-15 is a medium duty. If you are going to the trouble of swapping, do the AX-15. I sure wouldn't spend the money for an adapter to put in a T-5. CJ guys are always asking "what should I swap for this POS T-5?"

kevin s said:
The T4/T5 were used behind the 258 in CJs. It is a light duty transmission. The AX-15 is a medium duty. If you are going to the trouble of swapping, do the AX-15. I sure wouldn't spend the money for an adapter to put in a T-5. CJ guys are always asking "what should I swap for this POS T-5?"
ok good info to know... thanks guy's.

well found ax15 locally at a boneyard. 1040.00 CAD. I can't believe they charge this much for used crap. I checked our auction listings. I can get a parts/salvage cherokee complete for 150.00CAD. I think i'm just gonna find a auction unit and remove the tranny from it myself. and have a parts vehicle to boot.

Around here on the boards, an AX-15 goes for $100-$200. Unless it is a pull-n-save, the yards around here will try to rape you as well.

Oh, by the way, do a search and use the right lube in it. There is an issue with the wrong fluid nuking the syncros in some years.

How hard/expensive (tariff) is it to get it across the border from the US. I might be able to score a cheap one for you.

it wouldn't be that much. they can't tax used autoparts. i'd have to pay the freight though.

let me know what you find.

oh and that one for 1040.00 its a tranny and thats it. no linkage, no slave, no shift lever.

That sounds like alot. I was at a u-pull it salvage yard the other day, one by my house. There was a nice 93 sport with AX-15. It crossed my mind that someone might want the tranny, they said I could walk out the door with it for $105 American.

wow... 105US. if i could i find one here for that price i'd be swapping out this peugot next weekend.

well i'm gonna keep hunting locally for a bit. if all else fails it may have to come from the US.

Thats including taxes, evironmental fee and $10 core. I don't know what condition its in but it did enter all gears smoothly with the motor off. I may be willing to pull it off for you, given that my labor ain't free. I have no clue how shipping that thing to canada would work out. Either way, are there u-pull it yards in youre area? Not only are their prices much lower but its a neat place to walk around if you what to investigate what you can swap into a Jeep for example and don't want to be followed around while doing it.

Back