• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-clip pin...

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
I have a parts jeep and im working on getting the D30 shafts out to use as spares for my other jeep. the parts jeep is a 85 and the one i wheel is an 87. i have the passenger side outer shaft out, the inner shaft(disco) is still in the axle tube. i went to take the pin out that keeps the shafts pushed outward to keep the c-clips on and i noticed the small bolt that holds it in wasnt there so i figured i had taken it out a few months ago. well i was wrong and the bolt is broken off and i can see it busted off in the pin. its not flush with the carrier it is broken off about 1/4" inside the carrier...does anyone have any idea how to get it out of there? i cant think of a way to get the carrier out if i cant remove the shafts...

Brett

The early D35's are not C-Clip axles. Are you referring to the drift pin that gets driven in to keep the spider cross shaft in place?

old_man said:
The early D35's are not C-Clip axles. Are you referring to the drift pin that gets driven in to keep the spider cross shaft in place?

hmmm....i guess that is what im talking about, should the shafts just slide out then??

Brett

If it's a non-C axle (it should be...) then the shafts should come out once you get the hubs loose - like when you pull the retainers round back. You don't need to pull the crosspin to get them out.

I'd have to look up how to pull the right inner shaft on a D30D - since I haven't had to do it just yet. It probably just pulls out - and you'll need to get a grab on the thing through the shift motor hole, most likely.

What's going to be left on that thing when you're done? Would it be worth my driving up there? I'm working on become a "South Bay Parts Depot" - much to my wife's dismay (I thought hobbies were supposed to keep you OUT of trouble?)

5-90

5-90 said:
If it's a non-C axle (it should be...) then the shafts should come out once you get the hubs loose - like when you pull the retainers round back. You don't need to pull the crosspin to get them out.

I'd have to look up how to pull the right inner shaft on a D30D - since I haven't had to do it just yet. It probably just pulls out - and you'll need to get a grab on the thing through the shift motor hole, most likely.

What's going to be left on that thing when you're done? Would it be worth my driving up there? I'm working on become a "South Bay Parts Depot" - much to my wife's dismay (I thought hobbies were supposed to keep you OUT of trouble?)

5-90

ill right ill have to go check and see if i can figue out how to pull the inner shaft out.

lets see what will be left(rough guess)

first off its a 85 2 door 2.5L 5 spd
engine was rebuilt by the previous previous owner(2 owners ago)
flywheel bolts were sheared off and i had to replace the crank and flywheel
it ran before i did the work but after it only runs sporadically, carb could probably use a rebuild and a shop told me the compression in one cyl was bad.

What should be left
D35 3.73 gears
D30 minus the shafts
brand new radiator
all the interior
what look to be brand new p205 tires
transmission
basically brand new 4 cyl engine

Brett

well i was able to get the inner shaft out. you need to have the diff open in order to do so. there is a "c-clip like" clip that retains the shaft in the carrier. it is much smaller than a c-clip and obviously doesnt carry much load. luckily i was able to get it out with the drift pin(?) still in place by using a screw driver. thanks for the help guys

Brett

Bounty Hunter said:
Just a heads up, only 'some' D30's had that small c-clip to hold that inner shaft in during assembly. You don't need it when reinstalling the shafts.
Bingo. You beat me to it.

Back