• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck bolt

K2fender

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting on a lift on my 85 XJ, and I can't get one of the bolts off on the passenger side lower control arm. I've used my impact wrench, oil, liquid wrench, I just started to use heat, I've tried cutting it off with a reciprocating saw...everything. It won't come off. Are there any suggestions on what will work? If my impact wrench won't even take it off, I dont know what to do. I cant take it to someone because the coil and everything is already off and i have the driver side set up already. Also whats the best way to heat the bolt so that i can get it off? Thanks.

i ran into a problem on my lca the other day where the bolt was seezed to the metal sleeve inside the bushing. cut the head off the bold and as much as i could that was sticking out the other side and was able to let the lca drop right out.

I had to grind half of the nut off and it took forever because I only had a dremel. Of course I had to do it to both sides (my XJ hates me).

Someone suggested using a nut splitter in a similar problem. I went and got one to do my rear leaf bolts. It was a cheapo Autozone tool, but the thing snapped in two and the nut didn't even have a scratch. I went and got another tool for free, lifetime warranty, but ended up cutting that nut off with a grinder.

Last edited:
Thayer said:
I had to grind half of the nut off and it took forever because I only had a dremel. Of course I had to do it to both sides (my XJ hates me)..

WOW! Harbor freight sells a 4" angle grinder for $15 i say invest in one, mine took a serious 2 year beating b4 needing replaced. lose the dremel.

BRIANHO13 said:
WOW! Harbor freight sells a 4" angle grinder for $15 i say invest in one, mine took a serious 2 year beating b4 needing replaced. lose the dremel.

Totally! I had to use my dremel instead of my grinder because my landlord didn't let me use any outlets in the parking lot. I was stuck using my f'en dremel off my wimpy 200W power inverter. It's way too weak to run the grinder; it barely has enough juice to run the dremel. I finally got sick of it and now run a 50 foot extension cord 3 stories out my window then another cord 150 feet to my car hahaha.

I finally got it off, i fit my reciprocating saw down in there and cut the bolt most of the way through, then the impact wrench finally turned it. It took a good three hours, but I finally got it. Thanks for the replies tho.

If anyone else has a problem with this.... like i did this past weekend... the easiest and most effective thing to do is just put a foot and a half or so long metal pipe and put it on the handle of the socket wrench... and turn. Itl come out that way... it creates more torque on the bolt. This worked when my $250 impact wrench didnt.

Back