• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to diagnose my Transfer Case

CherokeeKarl

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I have a 90' Cherokee limited lifted 6 inches with a complete suspension lift (springs, leafs, shackles) *no blocks or spacers* and shims + t/c drop down. 2 months ago, my transfer case would not want to go back into 2wd when I was four wheelin and it made loud noises. It would eventually go back in and be fine so I thought nothing of it; just that its an old Transfer Case. 2 Weeks later, I went to four wheel, no feeling in my floor shifter. Does anyone possibly know what this could be and if my transfer case is toast (its stock btw). Thanks guys ~ Karl ~

Have you checked the linkage? I would think that would be a good place to start.:)

is it a np231, and if so try: check linkage then if theres no prob there drop the case and check the shift mode forks on the inside of the case. these shift you from 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo they have crappy teflon like bushings that break off when tehy are old and prevent proper engagement of the gears. this happened to me on my 95

Back