• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange trans leak

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
got a tranny leak in the 93 XJ, 4.0 auto.
I've changed the pan gasket, and the driveline seal looks dry. The leak occurs above the trans mount, so the mount is the only thing that's wet. I thought maybe it was due to an overfill, because it did have too much fluid, which i corrected. It still leaks, from somewhere, even after sitting a few days, so I don't think it's an over-flow. Any ideas from where? it's a 2wd, by the way

Not that familiar with the 2wd, but there are two other possibilities. The vent hose is off, or the speedo is leaking.

The leak could be forward from there, and the fluid is being blown rearward.

any idea where the vent hose is? The only part of the trans that's wet is the bottom rear, definetly dry everywhere else. Thing is, it still drips a little after sitting for a day. I clean it underneath, and sure enough it still drips.

so I'm sure it's not overfilled. Another observation is that this leak only occurs when I'm parked in the driveway, which is on a small incline. When it's parked in the street, there's no drip. Is it possible to overflow on such a small incline like a driveway? Does it overflow out the back?

aw4.jpg

Since the vent is at the top front of the tranny body, I doubt that's related to your leak. On your driveway, you're pointing nose-up? My guess at this point is that the 2wd adapter seal or gasket is leaking. There's access from the adapter directly into the fluid in the pan, so by parking uphill that fluid will collect in the adapter.

excellent pic, thanks!
yeah, in the driveway, it's nose up. I don't see any type of adapter on mine, so don't know where the leak is coming from.

Give the whole undercarriage a real good cleaning. A leak that appears to be in one area may be just residual fluid that is running down from somewhere else. After that is done, drive it as you usually would. Park it and place a large sheet of cardboard under there and you should get a real good idea where to start. You may have to move forward to actually find the source. There is also a dye you can add the the fluid that is highly visible under an ultraviolet light. It makes finding leaks a lot easier.

chris

after cleaning it, the mount is still the only part that's wet. I can't rule out the vent hose, I couldn't see it from underneath. Since it only drips when on an incline, it seems like it's an overflow issue.

Back