• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rattle when decellerating

markhaas

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've got a stock 2000 xj that rattles quite a bit when slowing down, coming from the front drivers side, sounded like it could have been a u-joint, so I changed the d/s front axle joint (err, bashed the oil slinger in the process, that was fun to find) but didnt solve the prob. Dosent seem to be a brake thing, only rattles when slowing down. Anybody got any ideas?

Did you check the front drive shaft? Brake caliper rattle springs? A loose center cap? Might be time to crawl under there again and start moving things around. Sounds have a nasty way of coming from an area that may not be the real problem.

Even though it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side, it could very well be just about anywhere. We had a similar problem with an old XJ. It ended up being a missing bolt on the PS pump. It only did it when slowing down.

chris

mine seems to make a weird noise too under deceleration, i get what i perceive to be u-joint noises when im slowing down going under 20 Mph, could also be brake related noises. not sure though.

and for the record, i also have a 2000 XJ

any chance it might be your cat. converter??

Back