• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what was the largest tire ever direct from the factory?

markg

NAXJA Forum User
was there ever a offroad package or anything that the xj may have come stock with larger tires?if i can document it it will help me with inspection in my state.im allowed 6 larger than stock and im on 38s now.this is a 91 sport

not by a million miles.

IIRC, the biggest tire ever on an XJ is a 225/75R15, which is just under 29"

sorry!!

state says i can go to a max of 36.my 38s are actually probobly 37.i dont need much

wouldn't 29"+6" = 35's?

not flaming, just asking...

markg said:
they allow 1 inch extra .max

with 38's... you'll have to find a VERY liberal inspector!!

good luck - let us know!

The largest sizes from the factory on any XJs were 225/75R15 and 225/70R16 -- which are virtually the same exact overall diameter.

The stock size on a 91 Sport was probably a 215/75R15.

Good luck with the inspection. You might want to log onto the North Atlantic Chapter forum and ask others in NJ how they handle it.

thanks 225/75R15 are roughly 29s right?
im not due for a while just lookin into things.they write it all up on the paperwork u have to carry and the 2nd insp sticker on the window next to the reg insp sticker.door hts,tire size ,bumper hts.

markg said:
thanks 225/75R15 are roughly 29s right?
Closer to 28".

I have a Cooper Tire brochure here. Most of the 225/75R15s are around 28.20"

I have a 79 "cherokee" in the garage widetrack stock size is 32's, you migh be able to find a really dumb inspecter that would fall for this.

In this shitty state that we livethe biggest you can go on an XJ is 37s as long as the lift you have does not put you over door sill height. When I had mine inspected at the Winslow station last year I asked about tire sizes and was told that it goes by gross vehicle weight ie the XJ hits a max tire of 37s for it weight. He never did say what the max door height was. And as to the comment on just swapping tires after inspection that voids your lift inspection sticker and papers (alteration after inspection). I dont know what part of jersey you live in but I have yet to have any police ever check my lift papers.

Last edited:
The shop manual for my 87xj has a table listing tire size, axle gear ratios and the color of the correct speedo gear. It lists a yellow gear to be used with 235x15 tires with 3.55 gears(which is my setup, and the speedo is right on).

235 is the width in millimeters. If you want to know the sidewall height you should look at the number after the slash ( / ). ex: p225/75r15 (largest tire, stock, I believe)

Back