• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle conundrum...swapped cover?

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
OK... So I'm trying to ID the rear axle on my 89 XJ.

It has 10 Bolts and the shape looks EXACTLY like the Dana 44 and nothing like the Dana 35 on Yuccaman's website. Even the plug looks like the 44...

So I pull all the numbers off of my rear:

Tag info says:
08 605323

Diff cover stamp says:
Dana
268 8
Rev. N
11/1/1987

Lower left housing stamp:

Upper right housing stamp:
35C

So I assume it's a 35 but looks just like a 44?

The covers are not interchangeable between the D35 and D44. Axle built in 1987; I don't have the BOM link here but I'd say we need pics.

It's got a screw in plug and the bolt pattern/shape and cover looks JUST LIKE the 44...physically the entire thing LOOKS like a 44.

But the top right side of the housing is stamped 35C & the tag is stamped 63003516
08 605323

605323 is a Dana 35 BOM....

I will try to borrow a dig camera and take pics.

XgeekstarX said:
if it has a screw in plug, then it's a 44. the 35's have the rubber plug.
Not so, early D35's have the screw in plug, later model 35's have the rubber plug. I put an older cover on my 35 to get rid of the rubber plug in favor of the magnet plug.

Guess a pic will tell.

Anybody know the axletube diameter between the two?

Thanks BH....

Me'thinks that the 35C stamp the top right angle on the housing and the BOM# make's it a 35...but with the sorta 10 bolt hex shape instead of the oval...

XgeekstarX said:
if it has a screw in plug, then it's a 44. the 35's have the rubber plug. also the 44 has a "hexagon" shape to the cover, the 35 is more round.
Nope.

The old non c-clip D35s have threaded plugs. The newer c-clip versions have the rubber plug.

Back