• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 overhead console in a 96 XJ?

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
will a 98 overhead console fit/work in a 96 XJ?

i have searched and searched and searched...

it seems like there may be different wiring plugs/connections, that could be adapted/spliced to make work, but will the design of the console fit the overhead of my 96?

what else can anyone tell me about this (if I were to get it) 98 full overhead console?
the quote says" Console has 4 independent maplights, sunglass storage, and garage door opener storage. Plugin is included with about 8" of wiring. The plugin has 6 wires in it 2 rows of 3 wires. Console is Light grey in color. Console has info center as well. I have seen on ebay that this unit fits 93-98 but I have not confirmed this. "

thanks for any info!

CaptTrev

CaptTrev said:
will a 98 overhead console fit/work in a 96 XJ?

i have searched and searched and searched...

it seems like there may be different wiring plugs/connections, that could be adapted/spliced to make work, but will the design of the console fit the overhead of my 96?

what else can anyone tell me about this (if I were to get it) 98 full overhead console?
the quote says" Console has 4 independent maplights, sunglass storage, and garage door opener storage. Plugin is included with about 8" of wiring. The plugin has 6 wires in it 2 rows of 3 wires. Console is Light grey in color. Console has info center as well. I have seen on ebay that this unit fits 93-98 but I have not confirmed this. "

thanks for any info!

CaptTrev

Well since no one else seems to be jumpin the gun to answer ya I'll try since I wired an overhead console into my 90. I found the location of the item you are looking at(although I won't give it away in case you don't want other people to know). To me it looks like the red plug that goes into it is the map lights power/ground. Also, I don't know if you'd be able to get the info center to work. I've never owned anywhere near a 96 XJ but I dont think they had any wiring that would tell like fuel economy or anything which is what I'm assuming the "info center" is. As far as fitment goes, I would imagine if you got the brackets you could make it work. I believe the 97+ overhead consoles are straight as opposed to the 96- that have a curve to accomodate the bracket that runs across the roof. Hope some of this helped ya, atleast it bumped this back to the top of the page.

CaptTrev said:
The plugin has 6 wires in it 2 rows of 3 wires. Console is Light grey in color. Console has info center as well. I have seen on ebay that this unit fits 93-98 but I have not confirmed this. "

thanks for any info!

CaptTrev
The console you are describing is from a Grand Cherokee NOT a standard Cherokee. While the early 13 pin ZJ console will work in the XJ for temperature and compass display only, the later 6 pin ZJ console will NOT display temperature. This info comes directly from the ZJ computer and not from the external temp sensor like the XJ (and early ZJ) have.
Also, it is very difficult to mount a ZJ console into an XJ.

JEEPZZ said:
The console you are describing is from a Grand Cherokee NOT a standard Cherokee. While the early 13 pin ZJ console will work in the XJ for temperature and compass display only, the later 6 pin ZJ console will NOT display temperature. This info comes directly from the ZJ computer and not from the external temp sensor like the XJ (and early ZJ) have.
Also, it is very difficult to mount a ZJ console into an XJ.

ahhh!
the 93-98 thing should have told me ZJ! I HATE it when (especially on ebay) people use GRAND cherokee with Cherokee interchangably! :mad:

oh well, looks like ill pass on this one....
thanks for the info!

Back