• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Symptoms Of Bad Torque Converter ?

dana300

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ 4.0L AW4 tranny

The transmission works normally EXCEPT at steady throttle at cruising speed (2-3-4 upshift or downshift). Tranny will go into 'neutral' and revs climb to 3000 + then tranny will engage again. Locking out OD doesn't help.

Tranny doesn't slip from standing start.

All gears engage/disengage normally except at steady cruise.

Tranny fluid is fresh, not burnt, with fresh filter.

I searched but didn't find this particular AW4 problem.

Thanks for any info.

I'd have a close look at the TPS. Mine had a dirty connector and some large resisitance in the wiring and the TCU couldn't seem to make up it`s mind what it wanted to do. It would sometimes coast and then hesitate (rev) before the clutches reingauged. Compression braking seemd to be missing.
Shift from neutral to drive, there should be no large lag time, maybe a second or so.

I'll look into that.....curiously, the FSM doesn't list the TPS in the AW4 troubleshooting chart.......thanks for the reply !

My troubleshooting list says, delayed shifts, first electronic, second valve body.
Suggests making sure all adjustments are correct, TPS, TV cable, shifter is properly adjusted etc. Then a quick, shift lag test, shift from neutral to drive nad see how long it takes to engauge, at normal idle (which in many early XJ's is a little low). Should take a 1-1 1/2 seconds. This is an indicator of the health of the clutches and somewhat pump pressures.
I´m no tranny expert, the only problems I´ve ever had is delayed shifts, from the wrong fluid and from dirty Dexron. Mine would hesitate in coast on occasion, turned out to be oil in a connector and possibly a poor ground, at the TPS connector. Had one that slipped a bit in first (usually on very cold mornings), but that would go away when it heated up.
I´ve gotten so I change the Dexron, every spring, you only get about half of it anyway by draining the pan, wihtout dumping the torque converter.

Back