• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ issues .........

PavementSux87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some Issues with my XJ

It will only shift out of first at full throttle around 4800rpm....... I belive it shifts into 3rd and skips 2nd cause of the speed Im goin bytime it shifts is about the speed I would be driving when I go into 3rd and it wont shit out of 3rd gear on the hiway

My trannys control unit is good (checked it out with my buddys XJ and his shifted fine with my trannys control unit)

I know my TPS is starting to go bad could be causing this issue with it only wanting to shift at full throttle ?

Or do you think my 2nd gear silnoid decide to take a crap on me ?

Maybe a combination of both ?

if its the silnoid where is it located in the tranny and would I need any special tools to replace it cause I rather work on my Rig than take it somewhere

Your TPS may be going out. Do a search on checking the voltages at different throttle positions. If I'm not mistaken the computer uses the TPS to tell the tranny some of what it should do.

If I am wrong I can always blame it on the meds after me knee surgery yesterday.

chris

I would guess the TPS it controls the shift timeing and firmness. Then try the selinoid I am surprised no one has said anything yet.
-Steve D

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!

I took it to a friends house who used to rebuild trannys and now works on Jeeps for a after hours buisness. He took out my gauge cluster after he noticed the speedo wasnt working and the Speeod cable wasnt spining when he would drive it so he replaced that and now it shifts great and i know how fast im goin

The speedo has nothing to do with the tranny on an 87. Trust me on this one. Sounds like your TPS is going bad.

Could you explain a little about the TPS. My 2000 Cherokee seems to slip when I first take off and after it shifts its fine. After the first stop it engages fine. Upshifts down shifts great although it does Idle somewhat high with a little tranny pull. Would the TPS have anything to do with this. Appreciate any info. Thanks Robt.

From your description it sounds like you may be low on fluid. When was the last time you checked the fluid? It should be a rich red color. If it is brown and smells burnt it is way past time for a fluid change.

chris

Back