• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seems Like its out of gas

XJAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped trannies from my 89 to my 91. After it was put together i took it out on a test drive. I got about 1/4 mi. down the road, it started sputtering and "lean popping like it was out of gas. I got it home, let off the gas, and it idled fine. I put gas in it just in case, and took it out in my back yard. After 1/4mi., it did the same thing. When I put it in neutral/park, it would rev, but lean pop at about 1000-1500 RPM's. I ran my scanner, and it had a lean code. this is really frustrating me, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :mad:

is it out of gas :D

Sounds like your fuel pump/inline filter is getting ready to bite the dust. When mine went it would idle fine, then die when you tried to get it past 2000 RPMs. If it does it in all gears I don't think this problem has anything to do with the tranny.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what happens as the rpms come up. It should hold. A common problem is the short hose in the tank from the mounting to the pump.

Back