• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny years...

Mrburns

NAXJA Forum User
So just a basic question to one of you who knows too much.... :lecture:

Starting backing the day what trannys where available for what years?
A/Ts 4spd-5spds...87' up...also if someone happens to know the output shaft of each...21-23? :wave:

just curious to see whats out there...and what i can strip each from...thanks!

If youre talking about XJ not other Jeeps, its simple really they only auto tranny was ever used in combination with a straight 6 was the AW4 4 speed. Stick shift- AX-15 which only had one spline configuration (10 in 23 out) unless it had a four cyl engine then you might find an AX5, 14 in (smaller shaft) 21 out. I assume you don't want information on the BA10/5 since you said 87 up.

Thanks for posting that site its good info, also theres http://www.jeeptech.com which has some basic information about the components "Jeep" used over time.

well i was told that there was a 999 and another auto that had been used...although very limited in numbers....just curious if thats true...and what they came off of...and how to identify them if they do exists...

reading on Novaks page....there was no such thing...but then again they don't go very far indepth....we this said...i have an 88...figuring i have an AW4...(non HO..so 21spline)....can i swap in a later HO model AW4 and have it just "plug-in" being computer controlled? ....or should i look another direction? something from a ZJ...or ??? will an early AW4 handle the power of a "mild" stroker?

bajacalal said:
If youre talking about XJ not other Jeeps, its simple really they only auto tranny was ever used in combination with a straight 6 was the AW4 4 speed. Stick shift- AX-15 which only had one spline configuration (10 in 23 out) unless it had a four cyl engine then you might find an AX5, 14 in (smaller shaft) 21 out. I assume you don't want information on the BA10/5 since you said 87 up.

Thanks for posting that site its good info, also theres http://www.jeeptech.com which has some basic information about the components "Jeep" used over time.
[font=&quot]BA10 was used behind the I6 from 87 to I think 91 maybe 90. and are you sure they never had a the newer 3035 or whatever on the latter years?[/font]

You could say the 999 is a "lock up" version of the torqueflite (727, a tough tranny btw) tranny theyre pretty similar. It was used in Cherokees, but not after 87 at least 4.0 ones, I think some 4cyl ones may have retained it for a little while, 2.5l autos are rare anyway. Its a 3 speed and the jeeptech pages has spline information. There was the 909, 904? but I don't think those were used after 87. Also there 3 speeds and you wanted 4+ speed tranny informatio. There were never any 5 speed autos on XJs and the only 4spd used was the AW4 after 87.

Bronco I thought the Pug tranny was phased out before that (89 maybe?) but he asked for auto tranny information anyway so why take time and mention it or the New Venture 3550 like you bring up, it came in 2000 or 2001 with the 4.0 but stick shifts seem so rare with those years anyway. Correct me if Im wrong but I think it fits other components designed to use the AX15.

Last edited:
bajacalal said:
Bronco I thought the Pug tranny was phased out before that (89 maybe?) but he asked for auto tranny information anyway so want to take time and mention it or the New Venture 3550 like you bring up, it came in 2000 or 2001 with the 4.0 but stick shifts seem so rare with those years anyway. Correct me if Im wrong but I think it fits other components designed to use the AX15.
Ya you are right

Mrburns said:
well i was told that there was a 999 and another auto that had been used...although very limited in numbers....just curious if thats true...and what they came off of...and how to identify them if they do exists...

reading on Novaks page....there was no such thing...but then again they don't go very far indepth....we this said...i have an 88...figuring i have an AW4...(non HO..so 21spline)....can i swap in a later HO model AW4 and have it just "plug-in" being computer controlled? ....or should i look another direction? something from a ZJ...or ??? will an early AW4 handle the power of a "mild" stroker?
an 88 XJ (or MJ) with a 4.0 and auto tranny will have the AW4. you are correct, it is 21 spline, the overdrive is also .705 rather than .75 of the 91+ model. You can swap a later model tranny, but I would recommend staying in the 87-96 years. 87-96 are plug-n-play electronically, whereas going to a 97+ will require some wire adaptations.

the AW4 is plenty strong for a stroked 4.0, the Toyota version is frequently run without problems behind 4-500hp Supras.

Yeah, what exactly do you want to know anyway? If you have a worn out AW4, its cost effective to get a compatible used one or install new band & clutches since with maintenance theyre a durable tranny. It should handle a stroker no problem. The other trannies that begin with 9 are a downgrade from the AW4, the TF727 is strong but only 3 speed so...little reason to swap one in.

Personally, for a stroker I would NEED an AX15 or a NV3550, I just like my 5 speed Jeep too much the way it is. Check out the AWshifting site, nifty idea (if I had an AW4 that is) to operate it like a manual.

Good luck with your project anyway :)

Last edited:
well to be 100% honest im not really sure what tranny i have.... when i bought the jeep, the previous owner had already started to "modify" it....closed cooling system...small lift....front locker... and i remember him saying something about a "99" or "999" tranny... but didn't give it much thought....until about 4wks ago when i started to map things out to stroke the little 4.0L....thinking i didn't want to blow up whatever tranny i have...so that go me thinking again as to which tranny i have.....talking to some people....and they were like..."there is no 999 trany...your crazy".....but you all have saved my sanity atleast for the time being, until i try to figureout which tranny i have... is there any casting numbers in an easy to see/read location on either the AW4 or 999... that would be a dead give away?

if it is the 999....is it stronger? as for the 3spd...that is less of a harmfull thing...my xj's now a trailer queen so and not a DD and rarely see's the street.. locked/spooled...yada yada... so im not really in need of crusing at 80 on the free way...just trying to besure of what i have....so i don't blow it up or what have you....

The obvious difference is that the 999 is a 3 speed. If you have an overdrive transmission (4 spd) it is NOT a 999, etc. The AW4 doesn't have seperate selection points (on the shifter) for gears 1 & 2, but it is a 4 speed. If youre into modifying cars you should be able to tell just by driving if it has 4th.

The AW4 has a transmission pan drain plug and removable bellhousing similar to manual trannies.

well i can select (from bottom to top) 1, 2, D, N, R, P... (not in that order althoug it might be...im drawing a blank).....i haven't had it over 35mphs in some time...2+yrs... like i said in never really sees the street...and i don't know how many people wheel at 40mph... but i sure dont..

anyways...thank you for the help so far... :wave:

bajacalal said:
I assume you don't want information on the BA10/5 since you said 87 up.
But the BA 10/5 was introduced in the XJ and MJ in 1987, and used until mid-1989.

Mrburns said:
I believe the 999 was a 904 with a lock-up torque converter, and I'm not sure if it was ever used in the XJ, or only in the Wrangler. It would be found only behind a 4-cyl engine if in a Cherokee.

Mrburns said:
well i can select (from bottom to top) 1, 2, D, N, R, P... (not in that order althoug it might be...im drawing a blank).....i haven't had it over 35mphs in some time...2+yrs... like i said in never really sees the street...and i don't know how many people wheel at 40mph... but i sure dont..

anyways...thank you for the help so far... :wave:
Well the AW4 is 1-2, 3, D, N, R, P.

Well since it's such a mystery at this point...I'd recommend you go look. Check out the right side of the tranny for a gunk-encrusted data plate that may say something like "Aisin 30-43LE" or similar. That's from my '96 AW-4, while the older (1987?) is a 30-40LE.

I don't know if your original question is asking about automatic or manual trannies...or both. There's a wealth of info asked for in there and a modicum of SPOBI sprinkled through this thread so let's get some clarification from you before dealving deeper into it.

my jeeps like 2hrs away....so looking won't be an option for atleast a few weeks....but i was trying to figure out what trannys it could be.... and if there was such a tranny called 999...which was answered...and also...what other trannys were availabe for xjs/yjs in the late 80's through the 90s....so i thank you all....does anyone know what the tagging would be for the 999? and/or what spline it would be....

thanks...

Fine, you're asking about automatic transmissions. Here's what was offered in the XJ - that doesn't mean the previous owner hasn't been fiddling around though.

Torqueflight 904
• 3 speed automatic
• used 84-86 with 2.8L V6 engine (and I4?)

30RH
• 3 speed automatic
• used with 2.5L I4 engine 94?-00

AW4
• 4 speed automatic
• Used exclusively behind the 4.0L I6.
• electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin
• used from 87-01
• 87-91 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points.
• 92-01 models were hard-wired into Power mode
• Pre 91 AW-4 used a .705 OD, 91-up AW-4= .75

Note there's a gap with the 4-cyl engines between 87-93; I don't have any info on what auto (if any) was used during those years behind the smaller motor.

If this is, infact focussed around the AW4 then BrettM is the one you want to talk to about electronic compatibility. The AW-4 should have 21-spline output behind the 4.0L Renix and 23-spline behind the High Output motor.

Eagle said:
But the BA 10/5 was introduced in the XJ and MJ in 1987, and used until mid-1989.

Youre right, somehow I should have known but my brain farted. Either way I guess he asked what auto transmissions are used so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Mr Burns, I'm thinking you have an AW4 and the prev. owner was just jibber jabbering but anyway I hope you got a good tranny not something half-arsed in there.

Last edited:
Back