• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what transmission do i got?

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is asked before. But as some know i just bought a 88 xj 4.0 5spd. Now i always hear things about "oh i hope you don't have the peugot tranny in there" anyways, so i took a look see under the jeep today. found the stamped tag on it. it read:

Dec 7/89

That doesn't mean anything to me. but i'm sure the experts on here might be able to tell me what tranny i got in this thing.

Thanks

well google search of "jeep 53005454" tells me that its a peugot tranny.

are these tranny's really as bad as everyone makes them sound?
My plan is to add a 3" lift and some 31" meat to do some average offroading. no crazy rock crawls or anything.

'88 XJ with a Dec '89 date on the tranny? Ouch...looks like that's already been replaced at least once. Yes, the Peugot trannies suck. It's not (necessarily) that they are a totally crappy tranny; some of them have been known to last 100,000 miles or better. As I understand it, the design is a problem from the get-go because the clamshell design of the case makes it weaker in some regards. More importantly, when it does break, replacement/repair costs are enormously discouraging. That's likely one reason the XJ went to an Aisin AX-15 behind the 4.0L starting in mid-model year '89.

Actually, now that I've typed that I wonder about the "Dec 7/89" portion. Make sure your tranny case splits lengthwise into left and right halves; it's easy to confirm from underneath as there are some half-dozen bolts running down the center of the tranny.

Theyre really easy to tell apart. The Peugeot BA10-5 splits length wise down the middle and so you will see the seam on the bottom side where the 2 halves are bolted together. The AX15 and AX5 transmissions can't be opened this way, as its a "solid" aluminum piece that can only be opened at the ends.

Go to http://www.jeeptech.com on their transmission page they have some pics of each.

Another easy way to tell is see if the shifter is held to the trans tower with 3 or 4 bolts. (3 bolts is Peugeot)

Yucca-Man said:
It's not (necessarily) that they are a totally crappy tranny; some of them have been known to last 100,000 miles or better.
Would 255,000 miles qualify as "better"? :laugh3:

Thats just because its been driven by some old fart and hasn't been wheeled. :laugh3:

I replaced mine for two reasons
  • the synchros were getting crabby at 165K miles.
  • the internal clutch slave went out AGAIN.

I had one with 200k miles on it and it still worked flawlessly when I took it out to put an AW4 in. When I was researching it some time ago, it seems that they very rarely have a catastrophic failure, rather things go wrong slowly. Therefore I would just run it till it dies then do an AX-15 or something else.

Well...

I've got ~250Kmiles on my 88 Peugeot (which, by the date, is probably original...)

I get the clutch kit with the slave cylinder in, and replace it with each clutch (it would be silly not to...)

The Synchros for 1st and 2d are getting goofy - you can hear the gears grinding when I shift.

Reverse is also getting silly - I sometimes have to roll a bit (not much - a few inches is enough) to get into R or it's blocked off.

I have another transmission on hand - but it's a Peugeot. I'm planning on getting something a little better later - but the P I've got works better than the one that's in now, and it was free for the picking up (along with a bunch of other goodies - thanks Andy!)

Ideally, I'll take an NV4500 - to be installed with a restomod. An NV3550 would be just ducky, and an AX15 would be acceptable.

But, I've got a more aggressive driving style than most...

5-90

old_man said:
Thats just because its been driven by some old fart and hasn't been wheeled. :laugh3:
You mis-spelled "olde pharte," but you're wrong about the wheeling. It has been wheeled. I started using the MJ only after my second or third season with NAXJA. The XJ has seen Paragon multiple times, as well as various trails in the Mohawk Trail area.

You're just jealous 'cause it still rides nice. (Love those Monroe Sensa-Tracs.)

it is indeed a peugot. 3 bolts holding the shift lever to the tranny. and a seem down the center of the tranny.

ah well run it till she's broke. :D

i'm gonna do a fluid change. i just did the engine oil and coolant. i'm gonna do the tranny, T/C, and diff's. Can someone tell me what fluids i need for each?

Tre said:
it is indeed a peugot. 3 bolts holding the shift lever to the tranny. and a seem down the center of the tranny.

i'm gonna do a fluid change. i just did the engine oil and coolant. i'm gonna do the tranny, T/C, and diff's. Can someone tell me what fluids i need for each?

your owners manual that is more than likeley in your glove box can...

XJ_ranger said:
your owners manual that is more than likeley in your glove box can...
thats a novel idea for someone with a new xj. seeing mines from 88. i have no clue what the original owner has done with the manual.

i'm most interested in finding the proper tranny fluid. something that won't tear up my syncro's and be good in cold weather seeing as winters approaching and i'm in canada.

Replaced my Peugeot at 150K; second gear synchro a little stiff until tranny warmed up, otherwise just fine. All the bad hype made me goosey about being "way back" on a serious trail, so when I shoe-horned a 350 into my '88, I also installed an NV4500.
Reputable mechanic with lots of Peugeot experience said the main issue with the "P" is 5th gear and big tires; don't lug the engine in 5th, and the trans should be fine. Also said maintaining proper oil level is extremely important, otherwise the gears overheat and loose their hardening. If you do have a problem with the "P", it's very expensive to repair. Can't remember the costs now, but it was cheaper to install an AX15 than it was to replace synchros in the "P".

Tre said:

Wiseasses - let's see if I can help...

The transmission and axles both take gear oil - I use 75-90 all around. Two key issues here:
1) Check for the presence of a tag on the rear differential that sez something like "Use Limited Slip Diff Lube Only." If you have that, make sure you get a bottle of "friction modifier" (about $5) and add it to your gear oil. It keeps LSD clutches from chattering. If you don't need it and add it anyhow, you won't harm anything.

2) The Peugeot drain plug is 8mm square drive. To get one of these, you'll want to get a couple cheap 8mm hex keys, and attack a pair of opposite corners with a grinder until it fits in the hole - it really only takes about five minutes. You won't get anywhere without it.

I don't recall how much gear oil you need - and I tend to buy by the case.

For the transfer case, you'll want Dexron II/III auto transmission fluid. You'll also (probably) want a 1-3/16" socket to get the plugs out, and you'll REALLY want a Plews Suction Gun (or similar) to refill the thing - expect to pay $10-15 for this. It also comes in handy filling axles, your transmission, and a few other things, so it's money well spent. It will look like a grease gun (same body!) only with a clear vinyl hose and without the trigger/lever. A well-stocked parts house should have it - I've also found them at hardware stores. Well worth the bux.

You can replace those damn steel (and probably rusty) plugs in the axle covers with brass from the plumbing department - I think they're 1/2"NPT (I buy those by the handful as well...)

5-90

5-90 said:
1) Check for the presence of a tag on the rear differential that sez something like "Use Limited Slip Diff Lube Only." If you have that, make sure you get a bottle of "friction modifier" (about $5) and add it to your gear oil. It keeps LSD clutches from chattering. If you don't need it and add it anyhow, you won't harm anything.
5-90

Is that why I get so much noise from the rear?- never saw any sticker

Back