• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shorted some wiring, help

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was trying to install my ARB switch using the wires form the clock. I accidently hooked up the wrong terminal and shorted out the wires which proceeded to short out my radio, clock wires, and interior lights. I checked the fuses and they seem ok but I did noitce I had a 20 amp fuse in the radio and it should have been a 15 amp. So i got the multi meter out and it doesn't read power at the fuse block for the radio or clock. Any place I can start looking for this short? Any other fuses, fusable links that connect these three? All other lights seem to work, lighter, power leds, all work. grrr, this sucks. TIA

More input!

Year, engine (there are some small differences...) and any other electrical mods you've done (that can come in handy - amps, radio, and anything else that might use that circuit...)

The later models use MAXI fuzes in the PDC, and the earlier ones use fuzible links. We can't tell you what to look for until we know what we're looking at!

5-90

sorry, forgot that,
89 4.0 Cherokee. Clarion radio, thats wired into the factory wiring harness. Have a small amp but ti has it's own power supply, the only thing connecting the amp to the radio is the rca and remote turn on. Other then that it's all stock.

What I was doing was cut the ends of the radio and using them for power to my ArB switch but I connected the wron terminals on the switch.

I would take out all of the fuses one-by-one and check them to be sure they are good. Also I know it's obvious, but did you check the clock/radio circuit with the key on?

Go underhood to the start relay (right behind the battery. Easily distinguished by its metal case and the large screwpost.)

Check the wires coming off the screwpost - the ones that go back into the harness are the fuzible links for power distribution. One of them is probably shot.

A blown fuzible link can be found by running the wires between your fingers - not only is the insulation usually distorted by heat (bubbled and such,) but you can feel the break in the wire when you try to bend it.

Replace a fuzible link with the same gage wire. Don't try to find the stuff at the big chain stores - that's hit or miss. Check with the little guys, since they usually have them on hand.

5-90

cool, i know where you are talking about, I will check them.

And yes I did run the voltage tests on the fuses with the key on as wel as check them all, thanks, we'll see if thats it.

hm, the start relay is under the plastic solenoid cover, correct? Well I checkd all the fusiable links coming off the post and they seem ok, no burnt or bubbled insulation, broken wires, ect.

Back