• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 grand motor for a 1990 xj????

Hoksibish

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1990 XJ now the question i have is this will a 1994 grand cherokee motor fit in mine with minimal issues...?
i have searched the net and can find nothing about this swap. the guy i am getting the motor from says his "crash books" say the 87-90 fit together but the 91-96 fit together.

any help on this would be grand.......

I'm sure this has been written up, but here's the summary version:

The engine itself will fit physically. The block is the same. But ...

Your 1990 XJ is the last year of the Renix injection/ignition system. The 94 Grand has a Chrysler injection/ignition. Not only are all the electronics different, the head and manifolds are different. There are a couple of ways to approach making this work.

The most elegant, most sophisticated way ... which of course involves the most work ... is to update your vehicle to accept the computer and engine room wiring from the Grand so that you get a complete 1994 engine and fuel delivery system. That would involve a lot of wiring. Only you can decide if you wish to embark on that.

Next down would be to drop in the '94 engine complete, swap the distributor and CPS in from the '90 to mate up with your vehicle electronics, and adapt the '90 throttle body to the '94 manifold OR adapt the '90 intake manifold to fit the '94 head (the ports are higher and the locating studs are also located differently).

Or you could keep your '90 wiring, induction and injection totally stock by stripping the manifolds and head off the '94 engine and use it as a short block with your original '90 head, manifolds, and peripherals.

So ... what you propose to do can be accomplished, but it is not a direct, bolt-up swap and that's why it is not listed as such in the exchange books.

Oh -- almost forgot. Because the '90 CPS operates differently electronically than the 'Chrysler CPS, if you wish to maintain the original '90 electrics you would also have to swap the '90 flexplate onto the new engine because they aren't the same. The only way to use the '94 flexplate would be to convert the vehicle to the Chrysler ignition/injection system.

so your sayin option a is the best lol good thing its all free i will take everything form the grand and make it work thanks so much for the help!!!

carnuck said:
trans is different too! Only early '93 ZJs had the AW4 (I have one I'm swapping into my '84 J10)
Now that we're getting beyond the engine itself, there's a good possibility the transfer case may also be different. IIRC the optional ZJ transfer case does not lock the two drive shafts together in high range 4WD, so 4WD high range is always a full-time only situation. I don't think Jeep got around to addressing the many complaints about that until 96 or 97.

Hummmm. Guess thats why you change the flex plate. You think. Alot cheaper than trannys and transfers

It'll work, and give you more power.
I jusat put a 93 Cherokee 4.0 into my 89 4.0 (blown).
I had a complete donor vehicle, so I used all the old sensors/CPS/flywheel/Dist/etc with the new motor & intake/exhaust.
The exhaust manifold routes differently and the fuel rail is different, so you'll have to extend your lines. The TPS sensor conversion takes a little planning and/or trial and error to get it set to function efficiently.

Are you planning on converting to an open cooling system also?
Now would be the time to do that too.

Here's some info from a recent thread:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675004

Back