• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box leak question

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
The steering box on my '90 is leaking from where the steering rod enters. Is it easy to replace that seal or do I need to completely disassemble the box? Also will there be any suprises in there that require special tools?

IMO, there is usually more going on than just the "O" rings, the "O" rings are just the first sign of significant wear. I wouldn't even attempt in without a really good book.
I've done my own, by the book set up and had serious problems when it got hot and tolerances changed. It most times worked out for me, but if your steering seizes (or fails) just once, it's something you don't forget.
Besides the only real way to purge the built up junk out of it, is a whole bunch of fluid or a recirculating filter system of some type.
I usually buy a rebuild.

I've had these boxes apart - while you can just pull the input shaft gland (where the shaft from the steering column comes in) and change it, it's a pain and the seal tends to get chewed up on those splines if you're not real careful... A "face spanner" wrench is required.

If it's the Pitman seal (the one at the bottom - the output end) it's a little easier - as I recall, you can get away with pulling the Pitman arm, taking out the snapring, and drilling a small hole in the seal ring so you can grab it and pull it loose. Install the new one, install the snapring, and check.

Still, it's usually a LOT easier to just get a new steering box and not worry about it at all. I typically use A1Cardone remans - have for years. It would take you about as long to change the box as it would to replace the seal - and you won't have to worry about it as much.

Y'ask me, you're really better off just changing the box - I typically will only change the seal if that's what I need to get me back to civilisation, or carry me through a catastrophic failure if I need to wait to get a new box...

5-90

Kragen Auto has a steering box(gear) made by Lares for $138. Comes with a lifetme warranty. Maybe I will check it out if I fail to fix the one I have now.

Let me know how the box swap goes I was going to go with a ZJ Cardone box from Rockauto.com (SUPER PRICE) so i can get the tighter steering... I am putting mine off and putting it off my pitman seal is the one leaking... I read somewhere that you can pop that snap ring out and then turn the steering all the way to one side and the fluid will shoot the seal out but i agree with 5-90 a new box is in order .... Cardone remans the boxes for Napa and they seem first tier... after reading about ATASCO and Fenco boxes those two are out of the question.. I emailed Lears and they were really nice and responded but said they supply the same box for all XJs regardless of year so you dont know if your getting the redesigned spool valve or not where as cardone has sperate part #s for the zj boxes

Are you saying that the later XJ boxes are designed better? If so will they be a direct bolt in to my '90?

A1 Cardone (Rockauto.com)

'90 XJ box #277525 $143 core $75
'98 XJ box #277582 $137 core $200 (wonder if my '90 core can be used for exchange?)

If shipping is free then I might get one from Rock auto since the prices are comparable to the local parts store cheapo units.

The metric Saginaw case (that's what you've got) is only in a couple varieties - a 3-bolt and a 4-bolt. I believe that a four-bolt can be bolted in place of a 3-bolt, but a 4-bolt should not be replaced by a 3-bolt. I've also heard tell of later F-body (Camaro, Firebird) steering boxes being used on "Street" XJ's to give better on-road handling, since the F-body boxes have a quicker gear.

If you don't tell them that you're giving back a 90 in place of a 98, A1C won't even know until it's been torn to bits - and they probably won't have a tag with it by then anyhow. Except for engines and transmissions, the only way you really get docked for a core is when there's a mounting ear broken off, the case is cracked, or something obvious like that (you also get docked if you turn in a disassembled part, since they don't "know" that they're getting the whole thing back.) No reason why it should be a big problem for you.

5-90

I love RockAuto, but shipping will not be free.....they have tons of Jeep stuff but I have always found their S&H to be a little high, too bad 'cause their prices are great.

5-90, I believe you mentioned the F-body boxes in another thread. Do you know offhand if these are a direct bolt in?

I believe they are - but I can't swear to it. I'll be finding out anyhow - I'm considering the swap in my wife's 89 Limited while I'm restomodding it. Hers is a mainly street vehicle (commuter) anyhow - so I'll be building it for better on-road performance and handling (while retaining useful off-road ability.)

5-90

Rockauto only wants 10 bux shipping to me (i am in wash dc) way cheeper then partsamerica/kragen/advance/checker

Back