• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Internal Squealing

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1988 XJ 4.0L 225,000M 5spd

First off Ive replaced my Waterpump, Idlers, Harmonoic Balancer,and the Bearing on the Compressor Bracket. This squealing is still there! The parts listed above were all bad the Harmonic Balancer was digging into my timing chain cover, waterpump quit on me, and idlers were shot. Now after replacing all of them I am truly amazed its still there, trying to pinpoint the squealing with a piece of hose it sounds like its coming from the top of my Harmonic balaner. Ive pulled it off and checked and its not rubbing or has any contact with the timing cover. So my question, does a timing chain squeal when bad, or rod bearing, main bearing something internal around the front crank area? Any ideas on what could be squealing or ways to check? From what Ive read when main bearings go its usually a knock and low oil pressure which don't apply to my symptoms.

Thanks,
TORX

The one pulley that you didn't mention (apart from the PS pump and alternator) is the fan pulley and it does seem to be in the right area. You might wanna check it out.

Jeepsrock: The belt is fairly new and appears to be fine but I should probably pick a new one up the old one has lots of WD40 overspray on it.

Dyno: By fan pulley im guessing you mean the one thats mounted on the bracket the fan mounts to which was the last thing I replaced the bearing turned really easy and gritty, so Im positive thats not it the cause.

Langer: Yes/No thats how I discovered my fan pulley was bad because it stopped when no belt was on and WD40 helped but since I put the new one on I havent and the noise is still there so geuss I should try that.

Off to work on it now, update later

TORX

Internal squealing is caused by too much estrogen. I know not funny.

Almost every time I get coolant on my belt, it squeals. The only thing I've found to remove/stop it is a good washing with a mild detergent, a serious rinsing with hot water, drying and then a bath in a rubber friendly silicon spray. All silicon sprays aren't rubber friendly, it depends on the solvent.
The idea to run it a minute, with the belt off, sounds good to me.
Instead of washing it, you can also silicon spray it a few times, then wipe off the excess and repeat, until it stops squealing. Cleaning off the pulleys also helps.
Make sure all the bolts on the back side of the power steering pump are tight and the locking nut for the adjuster. Looking down on the drivers side and checking to see if all the pulleys are straight might also be helpful. Sometimes when the idlers are new, they squeal a bit, until the belt polishes them up some.

Well I fixed the problem!

Boy do I feel like an idiot, I totally over looked the simple stuff. I took my belt off and looked at it for a minute and decided to try my old belt for the heck of it. So I took a wire brush and cleaned up my pulleys and put my old belt on. The old belt felt much "cleaner" than my new one did. Put the old one on and fired it up took it for a little drive whole time with window down and never heard a peep.

So learned another life lesson don't jump to conclusions because its most likely something simple.

Jeepsrock looks like you were right!

TORX :dunce:

TORX said:
Well I fixed the problem!

Boy do I feel like an idiot, I totally over looked the simple stuff. I took my belt off and looked at it for a minute and decided to try my old belt for the heck of it. So I took a wire brush and cleaned up my pulleys and put my old belt on. The old belt felt much "cleaner" than my new one did. Put the old one on and fired it up took it for a little drive whole time with window down and never heard a peep.

So learned another life lesson don't jump to conclusions because its most likely something simple.

not to hijack your thread but..

I've got a 99' which i recently replaced the belt, i swear i have it plenty tight, but everytime the compressor kicks on it squeals something horrible.

Could it be bearings in the compressor? i am hoping not..

After driving for for 15 minutes the noises go away..

this is the first belt i've had to mess with that didn't have a spring tensioner.

anyone have any wisdom?

Back