• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement midpipe

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to build an exhaust for my 99' without dropping the $400+ on headers. My midpipe has the horrible kink in it that I know is robbing me of power. Other than taking it of and and rewelding it myself, does anyone know of a place to get a stock replacement??

thanks
T

That kink is from the factory. YOull have to have one made without the kink. If you do be shure to check to clearences with the front drive shaft, and the pipe. IIRC that the reason for the kink in the first place.

I don't know if mine is factory. It is right under the header/midpipe connection point and is nowhere near the front drive shaft. Almost looks like an accident or something.

and what would there be a problem if I went up to a 2 1/2" pipe on the upper part instead of leaving it 2"? Or does it need that for the backpressure?

thanks

surfmon said:
I don't know if mine is factory. It is right under the header/midpipe connection point and is nowhere near the front drive shaft. Almost looks like an accident or something.
That is stock.

Looks like a baseball was pressed into it dosent it?

Ive been told that the kink helps with low end torque and that it is done from the factory. I have no factual data to support it, Ive seen the backpressure arguments on here, Ive never seen a dyno run with and without exhaust.

You've already been told it's the factory crimp (it is), and if you want to change it, you'll have to fab. something. The reason for it is somewhat obscure. Many guys say it's for driveshaft clearance; I think it has more to do with backpressure, but I may be wrong. At any rate, it was put there at the factory.

Your pictures look very similar to the ones I took and posted of my 97. I do not understand why the factory did this. Dr. Dino fabed a pipe and I "borrowed" this from his site http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/diary.html :

"2. Modified S-pipe (March 1996, 50k miles)

The stock S-pipe from the exhaust manifold to the "cat" is very restrictive. It should be 2.25" in diameter but at the bends, it narrows down to 1.75". I had a section of my S-pipe cut out before the first bend after the manifold and after the last bend before the "cat". It was replaced by a section of 2.25" pipe that had smoother bends and welded in place.
What a difference! The exhaust immediately sounded throatier and the response was amazing for such a simple mod. Estimated gain 5hp. I broke the 200hp barrier but I had a long way to go yet!"

Back