• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission overfill help

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok, here is the deal, I have a 1992 XJ Auto, I have an external tranny cooler plumber in after the radiator, and it works great. Last weekend, I noticed one of the hoses on the cooloer was looking a little tired, so i replaced, this morning, i noticed I may have not tightened up the clamps enough and was leaking, so i re-tightened, and then chked fluids. I was very low on the fluid. I added a quart, and it still looked low, I then added another, and now it looked full, VERY VERY FULL!.
Here is the problem, drove away and now I am leaking, I am not sure if it leaking because it spilled, could it be that the main seal went if i put too much ...what could it be, help?

tcm glx said:
Ok, here is the deal, I have a 1992 XJ Auto, I have an external tranny cooler plumber in after the radiator, and it works great. Last weekend, I noticed one of the hoses on the cooloer was looking a little tired, so i replaced, this morning, i noticed I may have not tightened up the clamps enough and was leaking, so i re-tightened, and then chked fluids. I was very low on the fluid. I added a quart, and it still looked low, I then added another, and now it looked full, VERY VERY FULL!.
Here is the problem, drove away and now I am leaking, I am not sure if it leaking because it spilled, could it be that the main seal went if i put too much ...what could it be, help?
All of the above. Some things just can't be answered with out being there.
You need to start with a good cleanup and see where it's comming from.

Go get a cheapo hand pump from kragens or the likes and buy a few feet of vinyl tubing,shove it down the fill/dip stick tube and remove what you need. Im guessin it might have expanded enough to come back up the dip stick tube. I doubt the seals blew, there is also a vent that might be the culprit. Odd how it holds near 3 gallons and 1 pint will overfill it to the point of being a pain or problem.

TCM, you're probably OK, better too much than too little. As was suggested, clean everything up, drain a quart, and then re-check the fluid level.

An overfilled trans will foam the fluid sometimes, and burp it out the filler tube when it gets hot, but usually won't blow out any seals. In my experience, the dipstick will show about a quart fuller when it warms up to operating temperature. It's amazing how much ATF expands when warm.

SWEET, thank you guys, i made all the "rookie mistakes". I had only run for about 5 minutes down the street, so it was probably not warm yet, i think it might be a quart or so more, my only concern is I hope it is not the main seal, i got that fixed a year ago, and have not stained a single driveway since beleive it or not, my Jeep does not mark spots....until today again!

I will get the pump today and try to drain, hopefully that will do the trick.

Tip: The Add mark on the AW4 dipstick is for a pint - as in 1/2 quart. We've all made that mistake ;)

Where is the leak coming from? IT's possible that when the transmission heated it it just puked the extra from the vent tube.

Thanks gusy, found a drain plug, drained out about a quart, and then cleaned it all up. It looks to be ok, i will keep you all posted!

if you just drive it the level will go down. Like someone said theres a vent up at the bellhousing and if its over full the worst that will happen is it will come out of the vent when the tranny gets hot because the fluid expands, thats why your supost to check the fluid hot and with the motor running in park. My 93 was over full and i did not know untill i was on the freeway and my Girlfriend was behind me and told me i was blowing fluid out from under the jeep. It was coming from the vent... Now it ok. The tube down the filler neck is a good idea.

Back