• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible clutch problem

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i tried searching this but couldn't find anything.
What happens is when from a stop in 1st gear (88 I6 5spd) no matter how hard i try to slip the clutch it feels like it chatters. I'd discribe it similar to how a race clutch feels in a built drag car. I don't know if its the clutch or if its something else. any idea's guy's?

Thats about the best i can describe it. you feel it throughout the vehicle. only does it from a stop.

Sounds like a clutch all right. Do you have a large oil leak? If oil gets on the clutch disk, this will happen, or it can be caused by slipping the clutch too much.

Sounds like clutch time.

no oil leak that i can see. a little seepage in spots but nothing to worry about.

i had a funny feeling it was gonna be the clutch. :( oh well i just bought it. I guess i should expect some surprises.

anything else i should look at replacing while in there? rear main? release bearing?

as well what clutch do you guy's recommend? i plan on building this thing for some decent wheeling.

thanks folks :D

Last edited:
you say u "Just" bought it? How long ago? When I had my centerforce clutch put in it chattered for the first week or so untill it broke in. Then it was fine and has been for over 40,000 miles. Then again I had a oem clutch put in and it never made a noise. So I guess it depends on the clutch and pressure setting on it. If it has been over a week or so I would def have it looked at.

If you end up doing a clutch job, you might as well replace the internal slave cylinder/release bearing and install a new pilot bearing.

well i just bought the jeep. not the clutch. I have no service history on this thing so who knows when the last time its been replaced.

well looking into it more i found out i got the puegot tranny in there to. :(

ah well i think i'll just drive it like this and see what happens. if the tranny goes out i'll be looking at pulling the tranny to swap in a ax15 anyways and at that piont i'll put in a new clutch and pressure plate.

Back