• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 AW4 into '88 XJ... Tried search, but

ren

NAXJA Forum User
I could not find much info on what wiring and sensors I need to hook up so that the '98 tranny will work correctly in an '88. Yes, I am keeping the RENIX stuff. I am switching the entire drivetrain from the '98 over, so I believe that I need to use the flexplate from the RENIX sytem for the motor to run, and I am putting the RENIX sensors on the HO motor, so everything should work, right?

That's what I've been told. By "entire drivetrain" you are taking the '98 t-case with you right? Otherwise you are going to have problems with the spline count and cut of the gears between the two.

You might want to PM 5-90 and BrettM for verification.

Yeah, I plan on using the engine, tranny, x-case, both axles, and both d/s. The '98 got rolled really badly, so that is why it is getting stripped ( the roof is about as flat as it can get, and the yard only wants $400 for it ).

make sure you get the harness for the tranny luck for us the computer for the tranny and engine are seperate so get it too I cann't remeber where i seen it but I read a write up on this a while back some time on a good search engine should find some thing

Your earlier XJ uses a mechanical (cable) connection for the speedometer, the later one should have the electronic/computerized sensor that does not work with your mechanical cable-drive speedometer. I don't know if you can just swap over the earlier parts, or not.

Went and looked at both drivetrains just now, since I went and bought the rolled one anyway, and the speedo connection is in the X-case on both of them. I believe that I can just switch the pieces and everything will be okay.

Back