• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question....

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
ok just got my 99 a few weeks ago and i want to lift it... pretty sure i am going to go with rustys but i dont know if i should get the 4.5 or 3. i will be having alot of city driving probably and highway as well. maybe i could get the 3 and get adjustable spacers for up to around 5 in. when needed?any help appreciated.

a 99 is likely to have vibration trouble with the 4.5" lift kit...

i would keep it to 3" or less unless you are prepared to spend a lot more than you think you have to...

XJ_ranger said:
a 99 is likely to have vibration trouble with the 4.5" lift kit...

i would keep it to 3" or less unless you are prepared to spend a lot more than you think you have to...

i own a '99 and would second that.

I highly recommend a lot of thought into what you want your rig to do. The other thinng to consider is how much you plan to spend. Alot of people will tell you to save up and buy the lift you want. Do it once, do it right!

Now that said, I went with an RE 3.5" lift a year ago on my 2000. Nice little lift, great flex and good road manners. I am in the process of relifting to get to 5" of lift. I have to buy almost everything over again to do it right. There are other ways like shackles, blocks, and spacers, but I have found good deals on the parts I need.

If cost is the biggest issue, I recommend the 3.5" lift. The 4.5" lift could cost you alot more based on the fact that you will probably need a slip yoke eliminator and drive shaft (about $400-$500 more).

There are tons of people out there each with their own story, but you need to do what you want. Get's lots of advice, hook-up with local XJ'rs and see what they have. Ride in a few to see what you think.

Good luck!

I got the 4.5 kit. I like it a lot, however you will need a SYE and new drive shaft. When i installed mine the vibes from the new drive shaft angles were horrendous. Even with a 1in transfer case drop. My advice is, if you have the money, get the 4.5 full spring kit, that way you can add some coil spacers and a rear shackle when you want to go higher.... and trust me, you will. Two months after I lifted my jeep it started looking short and I was wanting bigger tires….it’s a sickness, just beware, once you start, there’s no going back.

alright yall i think what i will do is go with the rustys 4.5 spring pack.....ill be purchasing that in about 3 weeks i guess then i gotta save for tires before i put it on....time is going to kill me!as far as the driveshaft goes, i assume thats no an easy job, what will it cost me to get a new one and have someone put it in? can i do the sye myself?

Back