• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running rough after manifold work

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
1990XJ I6 AW4 NP231 Cruise/AC

Finnally got the 1990 back on the road and on my way to work it seems to be running rough / maybe misfiring. Really noticeable on the highway when I tromp on it. I've never had one rough before (beside when tinkering with map sensor/tps and so on) so I'm lost. Before getting in the office, I double checked the injectors and the 'wire controllers' and they are all in order. I'm pretty sure I got all the vacuum lines correct...what else could I have missed?

Also, I just finished a parts swap from this jeep to the '99 and the Jeep has been sitting for a couple months while I was changing/waiting for parts. Full tank of gas though (I feel like I actually had nest egg there with the price of gas and all).

If you've had the manifolds off, you have to be carefull how you run the engine temp. sender, knock sensor and O2 harness down the front of the motor. As it will sure enough cook on the exhaust manifold and cause all kinds of grief. I run mine over the top and down near the power steering pump, just to avoid the exhaust manifold. I´ve seen half a dozen XJ's or more with cooked wiring there.
Most anytime I pick up a miss, I start checking for moisture, usually in the distributor. Even sometimes in the fuel, a bottle of injector cleaner seems to help with moisture in the fuel (and possibly helps with sticky injectors). Corrosion under the boots on the cap, whole bunch of places, to cause crossfire.

Thanks for the reply. I think I got 'er. The third injector wasn't seating properly (I should have replaced the orings) and I was losing compression through the gap. The "pssht pssht" compressor sound it was making on the way home clued me in.

For the next guy looking for pre '91 oring part numbers:

NAPA #2-12093
OEM ? 8350 3637
GP Sorenson / Autozone 8009220

Apparently you can also just ask for late 80's 5L mustang stuff too

There is probably something better out there, but I always put a light coat of Vaseline into the holes, before trying to push the injector and "O" ring in there. Has worked for me and never caused me any problems. The Vaseline mostly evaporates.

Back