• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question of Strength

CanadianCool

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of BDS control arms and a friend is going to modify them for me buy adding a rubicon express super fex joint on one end.He is going to do this by welding a big bolt to the superflex joint (much like the threaded johnny joint) think its inch and a quarter. Then he is gonna weld a threaded sleve in the control arm its self. He is a certified welder. what do you think?
The reason im gonna do this is
1 i got the joints from a friend for a great deal (free)
2 I already paid for the BDS arms
3 and the poly bushings that are in the arms i think are limiting my flex
of coarse I though of just buying a set of Rubicon Adjustables but they are like $450 here in Canada I may as well buy the Rockkrawler Long arm upgrade for $675 but I am only at 4 inches of lift. I dont think I need togo higher because I already have 33's.
Please any advice would be great.
Thanks

BrettM said:
sounds like a good plan.

1.25" is plenty large, I would recommend using fine thread also and a good deep sleave, 1 inch of threads or more sounds good. oh, and use a jam nut.
I concur

Thank you for the quick replys he is gonna use grade 8 bolts and they are going to be fine thread, I will ask him to put on a jam nut. I am assuming this keeps the threads from wearing by rotating?

CanadianCool said:
this keeps the threads from wearing by rotating?
Partly right. Keeps the threads from wearing by holding them snug against the side of each thread.
No slight in/out movement.

Thank you for all the info but I have one more question is there any way I can get the strenght of the weld tested? before I put them on the Jeep. I only ask just in case I get a inspection notice i would like to have this done while they are off the jeep.
Thanks again

CanadianCool said:
Thank you for all the info but I have one more question is there any way I can get the strenght of the weld tested? before I put them on the Jeep. I only ask just in case I get a inspection notice i would like to have this done while they are off the jeep.
Thanks again
Trust me, you won't. As long as they are painted the same as other parts and look beefy and/or OEMish, you'll have no problems. I doubt they will even notice. My last inspection, they didn't even notice that the control arms were aftermarket. The mechanic looked at my custom air intake and said 'Boy, Jeep sure did use a lot of different configurations with that inline six'. Find a ma and pa certified ICBC inspection center. I highly doubt they will challenge or even question anything like that. On the other hand, watch out for 1" long cracks in the windsheild or any apparent leaks in the braking system!

Back