• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto trans shifter

usmcsamhouston

NAXJA Forum User
swapping in a 4.3 into my 86 cherokee with a blown 2.8. The auto tranny from the donor s10 is a column shift. Is it possible to convert it to a floor shift, or should I look into finding another tranny? I don't have a clue as I won't have the donor vehicle until this weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It should not be a problem, since most automatics are shifted by a cable anyhow. Or, you could just swap the column as well (if you have the 2.8, you DEFINITELY have the GM column. And GM steering.)

If you are trying to make it work with the stock shifter, expect trouble unless the donor is the 700R4 (four-speed) which has, as I recall, a reverse valve body just like the AW4.

So, it's probably just a matter or adapting the AW4 shift cable to the 700R4, or swapping the GM columns, or finding an S10 with a donor floor shifter. Either way, it shouldn't be a huge problem - especially since the 700R4 was so often found behind the V6-60, some V8's (especially in later F-bodies,) and a few other places. Check for Camaro/Firebird shifters if you don't mind doing a little work.

I'm sure most aftermarket (Hurst, B&M, Lokar) 700R4 shifters could also be made to work, if you're willing.

5-90

How will you go bolting that to the transfercase then? The 2.8's were never sold here so dont know what auto they came with?

I went with an Art Carr.
Sweet shifter and the company is great to work with.

Back