• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Question!

Try Searching.

Yep. 235x75x15 will fit with no rubbing. With some jeeps 30x9.50x15 will fit with no rubbing, others they rub a little. Personally I would try the 30x9.50. The fill up the wheel well really nicly and if the rub at all it wont be that much.

i have 235/70R15s on my '90 that rub a little toward full steering lock, but the same tires as well as 75R15s have caused no trouble on my 93. both have stock sagging suspension, and the 93 has more than twice the miles of the '90.

We've got 235/75/15 Wranglers on our '90 Larado (2 AD/T's and I can't rememeber what the other two are) and '98 Limited (P-Metric SilentArmors), they rub a little on the 90's LCAs but not the '98. We've got thesame front and rear shocks (RS5000's on the front, NAPA/Tenneco Airshocks on the rear), but there's also about 190k miles aside from the 8 year age difference between the two.

Unless you are going for all out off road performance, go with 235-70-15's. They will look plenty big, give you noticably better acceleration, handling, braking, and gas miledge. Hey, I love big Jeeps too, but those are nice attributes as well, and you will be giving up minimal off road performance.

bustednutz said:
IF a person went back to the stock 215/75-15 size, would they see an increase in gas mileage? Or isn't it worth it?

Went back to stock from what? Prolly not much. I went down from a 30" to a 29" tire and didn't see much...definitely less than 1 mpg with the tire size change factored in.

My 01 has 225/75/15 and they are the stock size. They look nice but I think I am going to 30/9.5/15 soon.

Just put a set of 235/75/15 Dueler's on my 99 a few months ago. Just going up from the 225's that were on it when I bought it I noticed a difference. Not so much in MPG, but handleing, acceleration, and looks. You shouldn't have any problems.

DCB said:
My 01 has 225/75/15 and they are the stock size. They look nice but I think I am going to 30/9.5/15 soon.

You might experience some mild rubbing on the suspension up front during sharp turns. There also might be some on the rear fender wells in the back when you have a lot of weight in the back (such as 2 adults in the back seat and camping gear). I had 255/70/16 Firestones when I bought my 00 Classic and it rubbed in the front and back. But those Firestones are wider than your typical 30" tire which is probably the biggest reason why they rubbed in the back. I've heard some guys experiencing rubbing on the newer XJ's rear fenders because they don't stick out as far. On my old 88, the tires rubbed only in the front and it had 30" tires. Stopping the rubbing in front is an easy fix, just a small washer to extend the steering stops did the trick.

Right now I have 235/70/16 on my 00 with no rubbing but I wouldn't hesitate to slap on some 30" tires.

Back