• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ fuse quesion...tail lights

johnlv6

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked this up a few hours ago...please excuse the newbie question (searching didn't net me an answer).

I've looked through both the factory and Chiltons manual...all lights are functioning with the exception of the tail lights (will not remain on with headlights on). The blinkers, turn, reverse, and stop work (all interior lights are fine as well). My problem is that the tail lights will not remain on during operation. Any idea which fuse i would need to address (most of them seem to check out ok). Thanks.

John

Thanks...i saw that thread. Most of the threads i saw relating to my issue had more than one area affected (ex. dash lighting out as well and/ or multiple lighting areas not functioning). All fuses checked out ok...i guess i'm looking for another issue (bulbs are fine).

I found one extra thing that didn't light up...the license plate bulb. It's so small and i'm not used looking at it (i just got the Jeep yesterday) that i completely overlooked it.

I looked through the owners manual and Chiltons again and i couldn't locate which fuse would control either of those functions. I have a Jeep factory manual in the mail..i'll have to give that a go when it comes in.

My new question would be...What fuse controls the license plate bulb?

I'll have to try replacing that bulb tomorrow (it looked like crap but the filament was still intact). I'll have to try replacing it tomorrow.

John

Last edited:
The plate bulb would be the only possible culprit (all others are fresh...including the taillight bulbs). I'll replace the plate bulb and go from there tomorrow. If that doesn't do it i'm going to guess it could be a wiring issue. All fuses and bulbs seem to check out so far.

I'm looking at the FSM for the rear lighting. The license plate lamp goes thru fuse 7 in the passenger kick panel fuse block. That fuse also controls the left rear tail lights.

Question? Do your brake and turn signal lights work?

In the side panel under the spare tire, is where the connectors for the the tail lights live. If someone had a trailer wireing harness installed, this is the area it would be connected or spliced into. That may be the problem.

Fuses 7 and 12 control the rear running lights. If they are good and the bulbs are good then the problem is wireing.

The brake and turn signals do work. Thanks for the info! That's exactly what i was looking for.

No luck with fuse 7...i'll check on the wiring harness and replace the license plate bulb tomorrow afternoon. I should get my FSM this weekend...i'll have to do some reading. Thank you.
John

Last edited:
Back