• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Busted Shocks?

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!

I was wheeling this past weekend and my shocks (Monroe Reflex paired with Rusty's 2" AAL BB) seemed to be doing fine. On the 2+ hour trip home, the shocks still felt okay. Then on Monday, I hit a HUGE pothole going about 30mph (due to inattentive driving). It sounded like I really smacked the D.S. bumpstop. Now my XJ wallers around like a drunken elephant. Highway ride is very floaty (like a Buick or a Lincoln) and the left front seems to take a dive when I turn corners.

Is this a telltale sign of busted shocks?

I've only had them for about 10 months now, and wheeled them maybe 7 or 8 times.

I'm saving up for my OME kit, so I really hate to dip into my Jeepin budget to buy a couple of new Monroes for the front!

Spidey said:
Hello all!

I was wheeling this past weekend and my shocks (Monroe Reflex paired with Rusty's 2" AAL BB) seemed to be doing fine. On the 2+ hour trip home, the shocks still felt okay. Then on Monday, I hit a HUGE pothole going about 30mph (due to inattentive driving). It sounded like I really smacked the D.S. bumpstop. Now my XJ wallers around like a drunken elephant. Highway ride is very floaty (like a Buick or a Lincoln) and the left front seems to take a dive when I turn corners.

Is this a telltale sign of busted shocks?

I've only had them for about 10 months now, and wheeled them maybe 7 or 8 times.

I'm saving up for my OME kit, so I really hate to dip into my Jeepin budget to buy a couple of new Monroes for the front!

yup

sounds like a blown out shock to me...

pull both the front shocks off the jeep and see if they compress/expand the way that you would want them too (slowly)

if you can easily extend and compress them, they are done...

that said - some auto parts stores have "lifetime waranty" on shocks - and you might be able to get free shocks depending on where you bought them.

and the OME kit should come with OME shocks - highly praised as the best shock for a DD lifted XJ.

maybe just put off some other spending and but the OME 3" kit now?

Back