• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockkrawler updates

Matt98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at buying the second generation rockkrawler long arms. I've read a few posts, on how the new design is bigger and better. Anyone had any problems with the new kit? It's been out for a while, and I'd like to see if anyone has had any problems yet? I like the 3 link set up, and you can't really beat $475. I'll be running it with the RE 5.5 leaves, and coils.

I've seen the kit in person on a ZJ, and a TJ, and they both flexed amazingly. They also told me that the kit drives extremely well on the street. The only problems I heard were from the ZJ, who said that the rear suspension design was an issue.

I run it on my XJ, and know another guy running it on his wifes XJ.

We just got back from Paragon where I beat the ever living $hit out it, and it didn't even flinch!! He is also very impressed with how her's handles on the road and off compared to his Skyjacker kit.

Mine rides better on the road even with full width axles then it did stock!! You will NEVER bend the arms, I used them as rock sliders a couple dozen times and it worked great!! I would HIGHLY recommend it, I wouldn't even consider a diffrent kit for more money!!!

Personally, I like Claytons for the pure beef. But RK has good clearance for the most part. Keep in mind ALL their stuff is metric. Including the hiems. So spares are something you have to carry, cant rely on others to have a hiem or something.

Matt

How does the 6" system stack up against the Rubicon Express? it looks a little bit cheaper, but im wondering why if the control arms are stolid? Lil confused, thanks.

Its cheaper, taller AND it comes with shocks. Cant beat that with a stick. The 6.5" RK la kit is on my to do list.

im definitely going to have to throw another go with the rockkrawler setup. I ordered my stuff from joe at trcoffroad.com and i love every second that i have this kit. Currently i am on re 4.5 super flex and there short arms sucked majorly so i swapped in rk's long arms. My on road ride is absolutely amazing and off road like everyone says it flexes like crazy. Also like someone said, you can literally put your entire truck on these arms and you will not bend these. I think its impossible to bend these. Also rk just upgraded there kit again and they went to 1" for the heims so the heims are even stronger than they were before. Also whats great about those longarms is, it'll save your ds, you can slide down rocks with these suckers i love every minute of them.

Matt

Just running RK coils and leafs and very pleased with the products... so I'm not surprised that the LAs are great too

I dont mean to Hi jack but I have been looking at this kit also or at least the upgrade. And I was wondering I am at about 3.5 to 4 inches of lift can I run these long arms on my current setup until I get new rear springs and some coil spacers? Or would the upgrade even be worth while?
Thanks

xjj33p3r said:
How much welding is required for these kits? It says "minor" on their site, but how much specifically is required?

From the research that Ive done it seems all the welding that needs to be done is on the new LCA mounts which actually bolt in place and then are welded on for structural integrity. In therory you can have these welded on at a shop, drive home and put the remainder of the lift in youself which is all bolt on. The only other thing that RK recomends that needs welding are new HD LCA mounts on the axle which are an add-on to the kit.

Ive looked at every kit under the sun and lurked in forums far and wide and this kit is my top pick. I really like the three link design, less to bind and mucho flex. Lots of other companies use the radius arm setups which look kind of sketchy to me. All IMHO

That's actually a really smart idea... I hadn't thought about just bolting them on, then having someone weld them in place before you install the rest. Can anyone who has this kit confirm that?

I have the 4.5la from RK and i absolutly love it. It flexes like crazy and drives better than stock on the road. I did the install myself so if anybody has any problems feel free to pm me.

About the brackets i had chris over at RK weld them for a 30rack of beer then i drove my jeep around for two days before i started the install. I live 15mins from RK and know the guys pretty well so If you have any questions feel free to ask. I love my RK kit and i cant wait to go to 6.5.

Matt98XJ said:
I've been looking at buying the second generation rockkrawler long arms. I've read a few posts, on how the new design is bigger and better. Anyone had any problems with the new kit? It's been out for a while, and I'd like to see if anyone has had any problems yet? I like the 3 link set up, and you can't really beat $475. I'll be running it with the RE 5.5 leaves, and coils.
You might consider their coils too.
I'm very happy with them.

What is the spring rate on the 6.5" and 8" coils? I like the RE coils because they are pretty stiff. If they are softer, I'll probably just stick with the RE coils.

Back