• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger tires- bigger axles?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have been running my combo of 44s front and rear for a year now with no breakage on 35s. I have superiors in the rear. ARB front, detroit rear. I am going up to 38" SXs which measure about 36.75" and I am starting to worry. I am not a throttle jockey wheeler. I enjoy the strategy of not having to pound a rig up an obstacle. So, should I start plans to build a 35 spline 9" or shuld I not worry about it? THe front is stock shafts with 760s, so I am considering going to superiors and CTMs up front as well. I figure for what I could sell my rear 44 for with a detroit, discs, alloys, and complete I should be able to offset most of my cost for the new rear axle, but wanted to get opinions first. Any thoughts? I have to admit, the idea of not having to think about my shafts every time I wheels sounds appealing.....
josh

hey,
i dont havve any solutions for you but i had a question. im 19 yrs old, no fabing experience at all, how do i and were can i get reasonably priced d44 axels for my XJ. keep in mind im on Uncle Sams payroll(USMC). would it be a good idea to get some junkyard d44's and rebuild them.
Mike- oorah

I agree wheel it till it breaks you'd be surprised how much abuse a D44 can take and you've already put some good axles in it. If both axles were full-floaters i wouldn't worry at all.

I would be more concerned about the front than the rear.

Dirk Pitt said:
I would be more concerned about the front than the rear.

x2! I've snapped stock 44 shafts on 35s, I'd hate to see what 38s would do!! :wierd:

You have upgraded the rear shafts, i would upgrade the fronts and run it till you break it, and then figure out what you want to do!

I am planning on going superiors and CTMs in the front. So, I am less worried about that now.
As far as the idea of wheeling it til it breaks. If I sell it now, it is colmplete and works great. If I wait until I break it, I have to buy another shafts or whatever I break before I could sell it. I am trying to get the best money out of it if I am going to build something else. So if all I am going to do is break it and upgrade later, shouldnt I just do it now while I have the opportunity to make some good money off of what I have?
Good food for thought. Keep it comin....
j

The more I am digging through this with my local board, the more it seems that a 60 will be cheaper to build in teh end, and not as much of a pain in the bootay. So, I have alreayd begun new reading on 60s for the rear. Front will stay the same and receive teh aforementioned superior/CTM treatment.

You will break the front 44 with 38's.

Stub shafts, hubs and ball joints will break interchangeably and often.

A friend of mine just broke a 44 on 38's ramping his junk on a stump in his front yard.

Stub shaft.

I was forced to laugh at his antics.

CRASH said:
You will break the front 44 with 38's.

Stub shafts, hubs and ball joints will break interchangeably and often.

A friend of mine just broke a 44 on 38's ramping his junk on a stump in his front yard.

Stub shaft.

I was forced to laugh at his antics.

He was running Warn's and CTM's.

Dana 44's and 38's do not play well together.

if i were you- id skip the 9" and go straight to the 14bolt

and a 60 front...

I wouldn't worry too much about snapping shafts constantly, especially if you keep off the gas. I've seen some HARD wheeling with d44's and 38's, and the guy managed to snap a shaft after he got over the obsticle, which he was bouncing all over anyways. If you manage to break an axle, then worry about upgrading, but in the mean time, carry spare shafts.

XJ_ranger said:
if i were you- id skip the 9" and go straight to the 14bolt

and a 60 front...

Ditto, on the front. The 9" can work very well (got TrueHi9?), but it takes coin to make it happen.

Back