• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Coils

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what year model coils from an f150 can be used on the xj?

They should be for a '78 or older F150. Somewhere in mid '79 they added a flat bend in the open side of the coil and it would never seat on your lower coil spring mount. The TRW part number for the coils is CS-8228. This is the setup I'm using on mine with 2 extra isolators for 3". It rode pretty stiff at first but broke in nicely after about a month.

There is supposed to be a progressive rate spring by carquest that some people are using successfully but the part number or vehicle application escapes me at the moment. You might want to search some forums for "carquest" and see what you turn up.

Just found the Car Quest spring number, it's CC784. Saw it on this website:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

HTH,

Mark

Last edited:
They should be for a '78 or older F150. Somewhere in mid '79 they added a flat bend in the open side of the coil and it would never seat on your lower coil spring mount. The TRW part number for the coils is CS-8228. This is the setup I'm using on mine with 2 extra isolators for 3". It rode pretty stiff at first but broke in nicely after about a month.

There is supposed to be a progressive rate spring by carquest that some people are using successfully but the part number or vehicle application escapes me at the moment. You might want to search some forums for "carquest" and see what you turn up.

i just did the search myself and the part #is cc784.
i'll be doing that for my lift prob next week, cuz im on a lower budget than most 3rd world countries.im also going to pick up some dakota main leafs from a buddy of mine at the local pick a part.gotta make some room for these 31's!

sounds good, we're going to Wheelin' in the country in TN this weekend so I have mine tore apart as we speak and trying to piece it together to get 2- 3 inches to clear the new tires too....good luck

I'm cnfused! I just got coils out of F150 (1989-1990) and the bottom of the bloody things don't fit. We had to grind the mounts for it on the font diff base mount. IT DON'T FIT! what should I do? Should we still run the stock swaybar? It seems to bind up on the coil springs. The thing is sitting in my driveway with my regular car stuck behind it and can't go anywhere!!!!!
HELP!!!!

woodcreek said:
I'm cnfused! I just got coils out of F150 (1989-1990) and the bottom of the bloody things don't fit. We had to grind the mounts for it on the font diff base mount. IT DON'T FIT! what should I do? Should we still run the stock swaybar? It seems to bind up on the coil springs. The thing is sitting in my driveway with my regular car stuck behind it and can't go anywhere!!!!!
HELP!!!!

For starters read my post above. You got the wrong springs period! The springs MUST be from/for a 1978 or "older" F150, not newer. The open end of the spring is supposed to be round and not look like a "D". If you ground or cut up the spring perches on your axle to fit these things, that wasn't the best move. Good luck with that. I don't have anything to add, other than I hope things work out for you.

HTH,

Mark

We ground the lip of the perch. The perch is a 'D' shape with a rounded lip on top. We didn't grind the whole thing right off to flush. There is still a lip but not as much. It seems to be fine. we climbed a near vertical wall of dirt yesterday....... and then some.
Unfortuneately the rear is bottoming out and wheels rub on the fenders so the next step will be to add chev 1 tonn leafs (shortenned) to the rear and see where that will take me. The Chev leafs are high arced so I will add one or two under the main leaf.
Any other suggestions?

Back