• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb placement

XJ Samo

NAXJA Forum User
I have my antenna figured out wondering what you guys thought about placement of the radio itself roof mount above the rear view mirror or somewhere under the dash?
Thanks for any input.

you could slip a small piece of 1/4" plywood above the headliner in the middle above the rear view mirror and screw the cb mount through the headliner into it mabey... i was gonna do it but i got lazy and threw it on top of the dash

i made a mounting bracket out of some basic harware and mounted it to the existing holes and screws from the visors it looks really cool and its more out of the way then the passenger's side of the center console

If you have the infa-red reciever between the sun visors you don't even need to put any reenforcement (sp) in the headliner. I just redrilled the mounting holes in the bracket to fit the factory screws. Works great. JIM.

cobra 75wxst:
CB%20Mount.JPG

I've seen some guys make a mount to fit between the sun visors for full-size CBs which I liked....

DR

i used to have mine under the dash right above my knee and it was a pain tryin to drive and play around with the knobs. just throw it up on top of the dash with some double sided tape.. it looks cool and you dont have to drill anything.

cbs14bk.jpg

please tell me it looks cool...

Last edited:
red_01_xj said:
i made a mounting bracket out of some basic harware and mounted it to the existing holes and screws from the visors it looks really cool and its more out of the way then the passenger's side of the center console

this is what i did and would do again i grabed a piece of AL at the local hardware store drilled some holes in it and used the existing visor clip thingys as a mounting point then drilled holes where i need in the AL and mounted my cb better than risking spilling your drink on or bumping with your knee:banghead:

Under p.side dash. Microphone piece (whatever it's called) mounted to p.side console.

red_01_xj said:

I did the same thing except I bought an adj. bracket for like $3 from a truck stop. It's mounted with the existing visor clip screws. I chose up there because for some reason I kept getting terrible noise from under the dash.(dunno if it's the cheap cb or mega-dirty power) Also my remote keyless entry crap was long gone before I got the jeep so I used the power from up there in the little reciever as well.

WobblesXJ Quote:
Originally Posted by red_01_xj

I did the same thing except I bought an adj. bracket for like $3 from a truck stop. It's mounted with the existing visor clip screws. I chose up there because for some reason I kept getting terrible noise from under the dash.(dunno if it's the cheap cb or mega-dirty power) Also my remote keyless entry crap was long gone before I got the jeep so I used the power from up there in the little reciever as well.

Sounds a lot like what I did on my last XJ. I just made a piece of 1/4 X 4 inch aluminium bar stock that fit the contour of the roofline and anchored it using the dome light and sunvisor mounts. This made it easy to mount the cb within arms reach overhead.

Unfortunately my current XJ has a sun roof and this won't work on it. :(

XJ Samo said:
placement of the radio itself roof mount above the rear view mirror
Thats where I have mine, but i have an overhead console. Just removed the screw at the front (middle) and used that to secure the mount.

I mounted mine in the overhead console. When not in use you cant tell that there is a cb because you can close the doors on the o/h console. It looks pretty cool and is out of the way. I cant post any pictures cuz I am out of town due to my job and wont be home till xmas.I had to cut up the o/h console but is was worth it cuz there is not much room in an xj for any extras. I also mounted one (on another xj) where the ac vent is below the heater controls are on a 89.

I mounted mine on the passenger side of the console. I out a piece of thin gauge steel and drill the bracket/ steel/ and console to line up and used blind nut rivets. Now I can take the mount all off if it's gonna be sitting for awhile and not worry about it gettin stolen.

What year is it. My 90 has a change holder just under the ashtray. The CB fits artially in it and I screwed the ashtray shut with the mounting bracket. I didn't want the mic wire swinging in the periferal (sp?) vision or the CB in the way of any legs. Works great.

Matt

Jeepsloth said:
I got a Cobra 75 WX ST. It solved all those mounting issues and it works great. It cost a little more than an average CB but it's compact size is worth it.

http://www.cobra.com

I LIKE that...now I'm jealous! I've been using a handheld due to space, but I think that I'll get one of those.

Robert

Back