• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/8" plate OK to reinforce steering box area?

jonboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have some 1/8" plate and was thinking of welding that to the unibody area (inside and outside) of the steering box mount area. It would be a poor man's version of the SBS. I'd also sleeve the bolt holes in the "frame".

Do the experts out there think 1/8" plate is good for this?
Mine's not cracked, but it's probably on borrowed time.

1/8 will be a benefial reinforcement but you dont want a false sense of security. Both the ORGS and c-rok sbs are 3/16 outer plates.

If youre only going to bolt the plate onto the framerail then I would opt for a thicker plate if available. But Id say that a 1/8 plate should be sufficient if rosette welded and stitched around the perimeter. If youve got enough materials, go ahead and plate the inside and bottom tying it all together.

the best thing to do is put a piece of tube in where the the bolts pass thru and then weld on some plate to the ouside the plate spreads the load and the tube keeps the two sides of the frame rail from becoming too close:kissyou:

I homebrewed C-Rock like plates. Wasn't too diffucult. And cost me nothing.(scrap from work)

They bolt on exactly like the what they sell. No welding involved, other than the spacers on the inside plate when fabricating it. I may have some pics if your interested.

In my opinion 1/8" would not gain you that much. If your going to do it, I'd go 3/16".

Back