• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak

BattyBlueXJ

NAXJA Member #1270
Ok i went up to mass this weekend for some camping. After 45mins of driving i got to the hills and all of a sudden my jeep is smoking so bad i couldnt see my buddy behind me. I knew there was a oil leak b4 and thought it was the valve cover. I replaced the gasket about a month ago. The oil looks like it is coming from the 2nd cyl right where the spark plug enters. It only leaks when the engin is hotter than 210 and i guess when im going up hill. I really think that it is still the valve cover but it looked dry around the spot above the 2nd cyl. Is there any way it could be leaking from where the spark plug goes???

I too have a leak that looks like it is coming from where the sparkplug enters, same cylinder, but mine is still a wet spot. Went to a mechanic and after a quick look he told me that it is the valve cover gasket, but then when I asked why is it coming from the sparkplug, he started beating around the bush and told me that he needs to investigate further...:)

weird must be a jeep thing. lol. well my buddy is a mechanic and he told me that the cork gaskets sometimes pinch and then leak so he told me to find a rubber gasket. im going to try that and then ill get back to you. we will figure this out god damn it. lol. if not hes going to look at it this weekend and tear apart the block if he has to.

howdy-
i had a similar leak from the valve cover gasket-it was bad enough that i was afraid my injectors had caught on fire-smoke all over the place. didn't have time to mess with it for a while and was driving my other xj-turned out it was the valve cover gasket. go figure. that's on my '90 with ~100k miles. on my '93 with ~200k, i used to crank down the bolts once in awhile with a hand driver to hand tight, and it kept seepage to a minimum. speaking of which, i should probably check the torque on those things soon..

Alienspecimen said:
I too have a leak that looks like it is coming from where the sparkplug enters, same cylinder, but mine is still a wet spot. Went to a mechanic and after a quick look he told me that it is the valve cover gasket, but then when I asked why is it coming from the sparkplug, he started beating around the bush and told me that he needs to investigate further...:)

If I remember right, some of the bolt holes go all the way through and exit the cylinder head above the spark plug openings. The gasket is leaking, this is the path the oil takes outta there leaking around the bolts. Also, I recently redid mine with a cork gasket. I was unimpressed with it, there wasn't anywhere for the gasket to seat and keep it from moving so I bet I'll be installing an OEM gasket- its composite metal/cured silicone w/ holes to line it up on the head studs.

Battyblue your cork gasket isin't holding or has been crushed.

Thanks guys. Yesterday i looked and called all over looking for a rubber gasket. No luck so i picked up another cork one and some gasket sealer. Im going to try that today and just make sure that i dont overtighten the bolts. In the mean time ill probably order the oem one from the stealership. Ill let you know how i make out thanks guys again.

Back